Hello

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

lvd1979
Hello

Post by lvd1979 » Wed May 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Hello my name is Ludwig and i'm from Holland.

I can train, privatly, with a student from Ma Jiang Bao from rotterdam in the Wu-style.

Can you tell me something about the Wu-style and does it has also fighting applications?

Thanx,
Ludwig

Dan Fleet

Post by Dan Fleet » Thu May 31, 2007 11:40 am

www.wustyle.com is the Wu family style website. Wu family style springs from Yang Lu-ch'an's teachings via Wu Ch'uan-yü.

I study Wu style in Canada. This style includes martial applications, free hand sparring, various forms of push hands, etc.

What would you like to know?

(It is worth noting that this style is not the same style as practiced at GRTC, the hosts of this web forum)

lvd1979

Post by lvd1979 » Thu May 31, 2007 12:06 pm

I had a while ago contact with Mark Langweiler. A student from Sifu Eddie Wu.

I wanted to know if the TaiChiChuan from Eddie Wu and Ma Jiangbao is the same? So does Sifu Ma also teaches the fighting applications?

Dan Fleet

Post by Dan Fleet » Thu May 31, 2007 1:13 pm

Unfortunately I do not know the answer to that question, I would only be able to go with what is available about him on the Internet, which may or may not be correct.

You may be able to contact someone at the Toronto HQ of Wu style to find out for certain.

As for the martial applications, you'd have to check with Ma Jiang Bao's schools, presumably.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:44 am

You might try contacting Dave Dolbear of:
http://www.northernwu.com/

I believe his group actively trains the martial aspects of Wu Style...

Dan Fleet

Post by Dan Fleet » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:21 am

A lot of different Wu schools out there, it seems, from different branches of the lineage.

As tangential, the Wu family school last year translated & published in English the Wu family writings, as the "Gold Book". It may be interesting to give an insight into a different branch of taijiquan that descends via Yang Ban Hou to the Wu family. It is available via the wustyle.com website.

lvd1979

Post by lvd1979 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:35 am

Ma Jiangbao is the son of Ma Yueliang and Wu Yinghua, so it's a legitimate lineage.

He lives here in Holland, Rotterdam. And he has many students in Europe. They say he's a very impressive teacher. I didn't had the privilige to train with him, yet...... :D

Dan Fleet

Post by Dan Fleet » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:46 pm

If he's Wu Yinghua's son, I would expect (in the absence of any direct evidence) that the taijiquan he teaches to be reasonably close to the main Wu family branch as taught by Sifu Eddie Wu.

Most of the Wu style videos I can find of both newer and older generations and students show interesting variances in the form, although the essence is still there.

Edit: There is a youtube video of Wu Yinghua doing her form. This form is very close to what I have been taught, so you may be in luck, if that is what you are looking for.

It is interesting contrasting the sword form with Mr. Rodell's book and applications DVD as well.