YMT for martial application/fa jing versus other Yang forms

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Taiji Wuji
YMT for martial application/fa jing versus other Yang forms

Post by Taiji Wuji » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Is the YMT form more suited for martial use than other Yang forms? How about for developing the ability to release or return energy? I know the form is supposed to be the Yang Family Hidden form. From my experience it seems to allow for the discovery of the tai ji unified body or whole body movement and the revolving of the waist better than other forms, but the major back weighting and rising on the back leg and keeping most of the weight off the front leg in Peng, chi, an seem to limit the martial ability of the form. I'm fairly new to this form. Am I missing the benefit of the 90/10 or 80/20 back weighting versus the other styles more well known 70/30 weighting?

It was always my understanding that as one became more skilled that 70/30 distinction could move closer and closer to 51/49 and still maintain avoiding double weighting while hiding ones actual weighting.

J HepworthYoung

Re: YMT for martial application/fa jing versus other Yang fo

Post by J HepworthYoung » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:28 am

In my experience the front weighting is martially limiting and the back weighting gives serious advantages over it.

Taiji Wuji

Post by Taiji Wuji » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:06 am

Because of the ability to move quicker with more weight off the front foot or for other reasons too? If others, can you elaborate? What about the two styles effect on building fa jing and releasing it?

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:25 pm

I am not sure if it is quicker, but it can allow you to reach your opponent easily but still make you hard to reach and it also allows for some very cold kicks that opponents cannot see or feel coming.

Fajing is controversial and means different things to different people so I do not wish to address it other than to say one may release energy from most any posture or stance.