YMT compared to Chen Style

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: YMT compared to Chen Style

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:20 am

Taiji Wuji wrote:How does YMT compare ... to the Chen Style? What are the advantages of the YMT style compared to others? ... the form looks like you keep the majority of the weight on one leg most, if not all of the time. Is this true in your push hands and San shou forms too?
Having not practiced Chen style Taijiquan, I am reluctant to say anything about that system. As you noted, in the Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan, most movements are back weighted. At most, 30% of the weight will travel forward during a fajin movement, though as little as 0% can move forward in application, depending on how close one's duifang is. Persoanlly, I have found this system very effective in both tuishou & sanshou as well as swordplay (jianfa). The reason for this is by remaining primarily on the back leg, one is (if I may borrow a term from fencing) able to make a very quick repost. That is one can deflect-strike in one smooth, quick movement all from the rear leg. This is much quicker than deflecting on the rear leg & then shifting the weight forward, into a bow posture, before the fajin. Though the Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan also uses the front leg when the duifang is out of distance for rear leg based strikes.

The Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan system is complete, & includes everything from basic exercises that stretch & strengthen the body (including zhanzhuang), 14 Push Hands Exercises, the practice of free sanshou, right thru to a military style spear form. The YMT system does not include a sanshou form, these forms are from a later period.

Taiji Wuji

Post by Taiji Wuji » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:12 am

Since I posted this question initially, I've started class/lessons with the YMT group in my area. I'm enjoying it very much. You've answered much of the initial questions I had. Two main questions were - how effect is YMT for martial purposes. I take it from your answer, it must be as effective or more effective the other styles that are more known. It sounds like the quick strike, quick reaction capabilities are enhanced by the more significant back weighting which from practice I know results in a more empty and moveable front leg (certainly keeps it more available for kicking or stepping). The other question I had was does the back weighted stance, especially when it's significantly on the back, effect the ability to fajin? In other words do you need both feet touching the ground and 15 to 30 % of the weight on the front foot to faijin? I'm not to that stage, but if I invest the rest of my life practicing a style, I'd like it to allow me to learn all of the martial components that Taiji is well known for.

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:32 am

i know that YMT martial artists can have very well developed fa-jin, so i assume that the style and foot weighting is good, if not superb for explosive energy.