Australian Sword Festival April 24-25, 2010

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Linda Heenan
Australian Sword Festival April 24-25, 2010

Post by Linda Heenan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:03 pm

The Australian Sword Festival is only 2 months away, so any of the Australians who read this forum, or people of other nations wanting to come, should register fairly soon.

It is going to be quite a unique event with some outstanding teachers of various styles of swordsmanship. Students attending will be able to choose 4 of the 8 available classes, while teachers who wish to do so will be able to choose 2 classes other than the ones they are teaching.

Teachers and Styles:
Scott Rodell Laoshi- Jian and Miaodao (Chinese)
Richard Cullinan - Italian rapier and Bolognese sword
Shihan Andrew Beattie - Japanese styles
Paul Wagner - English longsword and Highlander Broadsword

There will be opportunities to compare styles in free sparring. There will be demonstrations. I don't know where else this has happened before. We talk a lot about comparing styles but in Sydney, we'll actually be doing that this April. I'm going to be interested to meet Andrew Beattie. Among his skills are horseback fighting, especially archery. He also does movie martial arts choreography and and stunts.

It's also going to be a good place to showcase some of our equipment. I should have a nice new wooden sword from Graham Cave by then, so the Aussies will see it. It is also possible I'll have a pair of steel blunt jian to test. Adam MacKay's helmet will be on show, as will my gambeson and some of Terry Tyndall's helmets, so far.

Anyone who wants to know more can find all the information, including registration on the Chinese Swords Guide http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com/Aus ... tival.html
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com