jian from kris cutlery

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

joopoverkleeft
jian from kris cutlery

Post by joopoverkleeft » Tue May 26, 2009 12:18 pm

is ther a sword user with a jian 111 from kris kutlery and use this for test -cuting,i lik to have one.the price is low and i lik the blad form.if the info from kris is ok, this sword is usful for my.
so can this sword be used for cutting .or is ther a user with a gim 111 sword with info ?

joop overkleeft
Last edited by joopoverkleeft on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: jian from qiug Zhong

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:13 am

I haven't tested Qing Zhong Jian, but I did test their
Ox Tail Dao
see - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=776

& Kenneth tells me a Miaodao is on its way to me for testing...

Linda Heenan

Re: jian from kris cutlery

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Here's another review of a Kris Kutlery jian - mine I think, or one the same viewtopic.php?f=8&t=417 I can't see this sword on their site anymore so it must be a superceded model. I can tell you it is still in cutting use now, 7 years after a friend bought it for me. The edge is not strong enough for very heavy cutting but we use it as a light, beginner cutting sword. It's the one we always start our children on. It is not as razor sharp as some of my other swords and I've left it that way because we do use it with kids. It cuts soft water bottles and fruit nicely enough for them to check their edge angle and learn.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

jonpalombi

Post by jonpalombi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Actually Linda,

This model was initially offered way back in the early 1990's and is, in fact, completely out of production. I almost bought one in 1993 but figured that I didn't need a sharp sword that was not recommended for actual cutting practice. They were forged from descent enough steel but lacked the heat-treatment that would have allowed then to keep an edge and hold up to medium-level cutting exercises without bending or twisting. Their current model is fully tempered, yet, I expect it would be in way over-it's-head, with single or double-wrapped tatami and/or green bamboo. This remains to be determined... but with Sifu's new Hanwei Cutting Jian into production, the point becomes moot, quite rapidly. For plastic water-filled jugs and pre-soaked newspaper rolls? Just fine. I think they are an inexpensive, middle-ground to an authentic heavy-duty cutting jian. Great for the kids and senior citizens. :) Kris Cutlery still has some in stock, at a closeout price of only 65 bucks! For a cheap starter jian, it's hard to beat! Personally, were I to opt for one I would prefer it dulled, as an inexpensive traveling sword-forms jian. But that's just me. So far, my best experiences have been with Huanuo Sword Arts Royal Peony, Zheng Wu Qing Gang Jian and the New Hanwei Cutting Jian. I can't wait for the New Hanwei Cutting Dao!!! 8)

http://kriscutlery.com/documents/chinese.html

Bye now, Jon
A wise person aspires to learn the practice of swordsmanship. A lucky person finds a worthy Teacher. A fool cannot tell the difference.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:09 pm

Thanks Jon, what a bargain as a first sword for beginner kids. I'm going to let our young students know in case they want one. As you said, we use it for soft targets only - fruit, vegetables, and soft plastic bottles. We use Huanuo or Zheng Wu swords for the more solid targets. I'd use the new SMR Hanwei if I had one :). Here's a link to pictures of kids cutting with the KK jian for those interested http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/alb ... =650423054
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com