Places you can't go with a sword

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin
Places you can't go with a sword

Post by iglazer » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:00 pm

So apparently, practicing sword in Victoria Australia is going to get a lot harder: http://www.dpc.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_No ... enDocument

This does raise the question about other place you cannot practice or have a sword outside... what are the rules for DC?

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:29 pm

Hello, everyone. This is my first post here and I can see the topic is old, but I hope my comments may be helpful. I live in New South Wales, which is the next door state to Victoria and considering similar sword legislation. The provision made in the legislation:
"There are some cultural, religious, military and collector groups that have legitimate reasons to own swords," he said.

"Such groups will be able to apply for an Order exempting their members from the need to obtain individual approvals. Also, individuals who do not fall into those categories will be able to apply to the Chief Commissioner of Police for an individual approval."

.... leaves it wide open for legitimate sword owners to carry on as before. For example, I belong to a reenactment group which has exemption under the Victorian legislation. Membership is only $16 per year. This gives me the right to carry swords - carefully. I think people are able to work within whatever their country or state allows. Being part of a registered group goes a long way to ensuring people are sensible with their weapons and not likely to do dangerous or unlawful things. Nobody in my group would be trusted with either a sword or with membership if they showed any sign of foolishness. Stephen Hand went a long way towards softening the legislation to work for us in Australia.

I know this doesn't answer your question about your own area, but whatever the laws are there, it is possible to work within them. I carried my jian to work for a demonstration last week. It had to be kept under protection from people who could harm themselves. I believe there are laws about concealing weapons in some countries. In mine, it is the opposite.