questions on Yangshi Taiji Dao 2

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

ynze
questions on Yangshi Taiji Dao 2

Post by ynze » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:37 am

While practising and reading the form steps I was wondering about the following:

19. Deflect, suibu into Jie
20. Turn into taitui, Lu (claw down), sink into front leg and Pu
21. Sink back, Gua

there is a comma between "Lu" and "sink down into front leg" which suggests that you first do the lu and then sink in the leg and apply the Pu.

I realized that when I do this it is all one move. That is to say I'm in taitui then when I make de Lu I also start sinking into my right leg When the lu is done the right foot is flat on the floor, then when I realy sink into the foot/leg I apply the Pu so that when I'm completely down the Pu is applied.

So my question is should I really separate the 2 or is it ok the way I do it.

ps I'm starting to understand Linda's situation. When you want to really dig in to something and your teachers a continent away. Hurray for the forum.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: questions on Yangshi Taiji Dao 2

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:22 pm

ynze wrote:...20. Turn into taitui, Lu (claw down), sink into front leg and Pu...

there is a comma between "Lu" and "sink down into front leg" which suggests that you first do the lu and then sink in the leg and apply the Pu...

... my question is should I really separate the 2 or is it ok the way I do it.
The Lu (claw) movement is done while you are transitioning from the previous cut to the pu strike with the left hand, so they are a sort of 1 - 2, but there should not be any pause between these. Think of it as one movement with a double pulse.