Fajing in Section 2

Discussion for senior taijiquan students only

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Linda Heenan
Fajing in Section 2

Post by Linda Heenan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:31 am

I'm starting this thread, expecting to have more questions over the next couple of weeks. I'm working through Section 2 form with an emphasis on putting the jing into the movements. So far, for those who might ask the same questions in future, I asked about which leg was rooted for the jing to come up through in Palm 3 times and Needle at the Sea Bottom.

The answers Laoshi gave me were that in Palm 3 times, the first strike is from the back leg, the second from the front leg and the third from the back leg. In Needle at the Bottom of the sea, it's from the rear leg, like a push only the energy is redirected downward by the bending of the waist.

Now for today's question:

This one is from the Cloud hands sequence. In the first part with the movements to the left side, the rooted leg is the right one, it seems to me, until the peng and jab, which is similar to section 1 where the peng is from the right leg and the jab is from the left. Is that correct so far?

Then I get a bit confused with the movements to the right side. After the split to the left, energy is issued to the right. I don't know the name of the movement but I recall it is peng jing. Then there is a rollback and so on. My problem is with the feet. In the movements to the right side, I find the right foot in a very awkward position. The jing comes through the left leg? When does the weight shift to the right leg for the jab? It's probably just me but that weight change feels clunky. It's a bit better if I sink quite low with the waist turns .... is that the correct thing to do. I want to know how to balance the movement better and time the rooting for fajing from the correct leg.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fajing in Section 2

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Linda Heenan wrote:... Cloud hands sequence. In the first part ... to the left side, the rooted leg is the right one, it seems to me, until the peng and jab, which is similar to section 1 where the peng is from the right leg and the jab is from the left... correct...?
Yes, in each case the root is the leg opposite the hand that is jabbing.
Linda Heenan wrote:... with the movements to the right side. After the split to the left, energy is issued to the right. I don't know the name of the movement but I recall it is peng jing. Then there is a rollback and so on. My problem is with the feet. In the movements to the right side, I find the right foot in a very awkward position. The jing comes through the left leg? When does the weight shift to the right leg for the jab? ...
Each time you turn to the opposite side the jin begins out of the rear leg, coming thru the opposite arms as peng jin, then as you continue into forward for the jab, the weight first shifts into the front leg.

Linda Heenan

Re: Fajing in Section 2

Post by Linda Heenan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Thank you. I'm going to work on this until it feels right and flows well, then come back with another question :)