Peened or Bolted Tang

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

David
Peened or Bolted Tang

Post by David » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:31 pm

I have read that traditionally Chinese swords had a peened tang but nowadays most modern made swords have a bolted one. I have always thought that for a cutting sword a peened tang would be stronger and hold up better but after reading an interesting post on another forum which basically said the problem with peened tangs is that the wood on the hilt can shirk making loosening the fittings whereas if this happens on a sword with a bolted tang it can be easily tightened. I can see their point of view but if it was that much of a problem why did they continue to peen the tangs?

My main question is just how much of an issue is the shrinkage of the wood and for a cutting sword am I better of to get the tang peened?

Thanks,
Dave

Peter Dekker

Post by Peter Dekker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi,

When the wood is well cured, shrinkage would only occur over a long period of time. The antiques we now find with rattling hilts may have not had any such problems in their time.

On the other side, having to retighten the hilt periodically isn't that much of a problem either. Especially when you only cut relatively easy targets like green bamboo and bottles, the hilt will stay tight most of the time.

-Peter
Knowing is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.

-Bruce Lee

http://www.mandarinmansion.com
Antique Chinese Arms & Functional reproductions

http://www.manchuarchery.org
Fe Doro - Manchu Archery

Graham Cave

Re: Peened or Bolted Tang

Post by Graham Cave » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:27 am

David wrote:My main question is just how much of an issue is the shrinkage of the wood and for a cutting sword am I better of to get the tang peened?
Shrinkage along the grain of wood is negligible so this won't be a cause of hilt fittings coming loose. If the only part of the wood in contact with the metal is at the thin shoulder of the ferrules then compression could possibly be a factor. Deformation due to Compression also depends on how hard and dense the wood is.

Wood does expand and contract across the grain but if the timber has been properly seasoned and dried then it shouldn't present a problem. To keep the wood in good condition, it is advisable not to leave the sword in direct strong sunlight, near a heat source such as a fire or radiator or anywhere damp or humid. Sudden changes in the moisture content of wood can also cause warping or splitting so in the unlikely event of a sword handle getting very wet, let it dry out slowly away from any heat source.

If a sword with a bolted tang is well made using suitable materials then the most likely cause of the hilt coming loose is vibration. There are three standard ways of preventing nuts from coming loose due to vibration:

1. Use automotive thread sealant.
2. Use a spring washer/ anti vibration washer.
3. Use an anti vibration nut which has a nylon insert.

I prefer a threaded tang for ease of maintenance. If you ever want to replace the handle or a fitting then a peened tang means more work and the hilt ends up being slightly shorter each time you do it.