Some more trans-cultural fusion

Sword typology and Edge Weapons forms of the Chinese Empire and related cultures with an emphasis on their relationship to Swordsmanship.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

dennee

Post by dennee » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Sorry for not posting a link in my last.

It is an interesting avenue of inquiry. LaRocca's book doesn't really get into it for the same reason it is still a bit mysterious--all of us are naturally reluctant to take apart nice swords!

I suspect, basis on this little bit of evidence, that at least some tangs are not peened and that what appears to be a peened tang may sometimes be merely securing the pommel. Pommels are often helping hold in place the grip material and, more important, (as you know) the pommels often had a thong attached which could mean significant stress on the pommel (and certainly enough stress to pull out the cotter-pin-type arrangements that often held the rings for the thongs).

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:08 pm

Oh, I see. What looks like the end of the tang could just be an attachment point for the pommel. That is interesting. I can say unequivocally that the sabers from the Chinese side with Tibetan characteristics have a peened over tang at the pommel, and the one saber from Eastern Tibet I have is also peened. On that one the handle is two pieces of horn over a full tang, so it is clear. Also the Yi saber I have is peened. However, the sabers from eastern Tibet with the two metal prongs at the pommel might be different, and the classic Tibetan hilt may also be as you describe. On older sabers with loose fittings, would you be able to feel the pommel moving separately? Have you seen evidence for those short triangular tangs other than the photos you posted?
Josh
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu

dennee

Post by dennee » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:54 pm

No, I have never seen other tangs exposed, frankly. But those examples I photogrpahed appeared to be fairly old and with an apparent provenance.

I have three swords whose pommels are loose enough to sort of twist a bit opposite the blade (i.e., I have one hand on the blade or scabbard, rotating slightly in one direction and the other on the pommel (and a finger and my eyes on the head formed by the tang or nail to look and feel for movement). In each case, I believe I can feel movement throughout the hilt, suggesting a full tang, and the "head" appears to be stationary relative to the blade, suggesting that it is a peened tang.