Grip laquers??

How to restore antique arms & repair practice swords.

Moderator:Philip Tom

Chris Fields
Grip laquers??

Post by Chris Fields » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:07 pm

I went to the local art store to get some laquer for my Huanuo Dao handle. Well,... I was met with a 100 different laquers and ideas from the artists at the store. So... is there a particular laquer that has been found to be the best?

Also, has anyone tried anything else? Like an epoxy coating or anything? Thanks
www.royalkungfu.com

Stage combat weapons and Martial Arts Training weapons:
www.sterlingarmory.com

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:58 am

Yes I am also curious about lacquers. I have been collecting village weapons where the tang and pommel are one piece and the guard is welded on. I had been wondering how the handles were attached as few have holes through the tang for attaching handle scales. I finally found one with an intact handle. It has a wooden core bound with leather then lacquered over in some way. The lacquer is not hard and shiny like most modern ones, but mat finish with a slight pliability over the leather that helps prevent the hand slipping. I have seen this before where leather is coated in a lacquer that almost feels like it was mixed with a wax or some other soft organic substance. Then I think the whole thing was kept up in the roof thatch by the fire, judging by the smell of smoke. The other one I saw also had a smell like very old butter mixed with the smell of smoke. Was there some sort of pitch that didn’t dry as hard as true lacquer, but that wouldn’t feel sticky?
Josh
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu

B.Ko

Post by B.Ko » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:44 am

On the advice of Philip Tom I put polyurethane floor finish on my grip wrap. The brand I used was needed a few coats and hardened to to hard semiglossy finish which then 'fuzzes' with use.

Philip advised Minwax PolyAcrylic...this doesn't 'fuzz' at all and doesn't show up at all on the cord.

Chris Fields

Post by Chris Fields » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:03 am

Thanks
www.royalkungfu.com

Stage combat weapons and Martial Arts Training weapons:
www.sterlingarmory.com