Qi Dispersion

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

G-Man
Qi Dispersion

Post by G-Man » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:32 am

Often when I am circulating my qi during zhong zhuan or the basic exercises, I find that the qi will leak out of the meridians and disperse into the surrounding area. This usually happens in the more difficult areas (for me), namely from the knee to the Bubbling Well point. Once the dispersion begins, I find it difficult to focus on a specific "packet of qi," which in turn seems to encourage more leakage. What should I do when this starts happening? Is it better to stop or keep going?

Moderator Note: Readers of this thread might be interested in cross referencing this discussion with the thread: Internal Work According to Yang Taijiquan Lineage in this forum

http://www.grtc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:11 am

From everything I have heard, you need to push on through and keep going. There are, as I understand it, two main reasons for qi Leak. 1) Lack of mental focus. 2) The body needs extra qi in certain areas. I know that you can focus, so #1 is less likely. #2 is something that can only be overcome by moving more qi and clearing up the tough areas.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:10 pm

The important point to remember in this situation, where your qi is being dispersed so that you do not have enough or any left for the yi to lead completely thru the entire orbit, is that the practice is not to simply lead the qi thru a section of the orbit, but thru the entire circuit. Just directing your yi round the entire orbit, all the way down & up the entire body, takes some practice in itself, especailly in the beginning. So, as Ian pointed out, keep going even if there doesn't seem to be any qi for the mind to hold on to & move.

Another reason for continuing to move your yi along the complete curcuit, even when there doesn't seem to be anything going around the orbit, is that there usually is still a little something moving along, even if its too small to notice. In the beginning, this little bit plays an important role in opening up the meridians. The eight inner meridians employed in taijiquan, called mai in Mandarin, are typically not open or active on the adverage person. Getting even a little qi to move along these channels helps to sort of "ionize" them, wearing a short of path, that slowly gets them open & functioning.

Once one can fairly easily circulate his or her qi in the static postions of zhan zhuang & in the simple movements of the Basic Exerises, it will easier to move the qi within the solo form. In time this becomes as natural as the body mechanics one is training in the art & the body & qi will move as one, freely with one's intent.

Dan Pasek

Post by Dan Pasek » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:07 pm

I have not posted on this forum previously (I have been a member almost from the start) because others have usually addressed subjects satisfactorily and I did not feel that I had much additional to contribute. But there are several comments that I could add to this topic.

First, it is my understanding from several instructors that the knees are a difficult place to circulate energy (Qi) through, so this would probably be experienced by most practitioners. I view it in part as a matter of expanding the knee joint (or lengthening the leg) so that it is more open and less constricted, similar to the expansion/lengthening of the arms and spine often taught in Taijiquan. This is more difficult to do than in the arms due to the weight of the body constantly compressing the knee joint, and the knee needing to be stable in order to hold stances, resulting in the musculature around the knee often tensing more than necessary and further compressing the joint.

Other things that could be tried include warming up the knees prior to doing zhan zhuang or other standing meditations. This could be the same warm ups used prior to forms or other exercising. If not already done for warm ups, try rubbing the hands together vigorously until warm and then rubbing the knees with your warm hands, and keeping the knees covered (especially when practicing indoors in air conditioned rooms) in order to retain warmth in the knee joint.

DP

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Getting Qi Past the Knee Joint

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:51 am

Thanks for those good tips Dan.

Dan Pasek wrote:...it is my understanding from several instructors that the knees are a difficult place to circulate energy (Qi) through, so this would probably be experienced by most practitioners...

I recall that the knee joint was a sticking point for me as well. I could lead my qi down my torso & into the leg without much difficulty, but it stopped dead at the knee joint. I eventually got the qi thru by perserverance, just sending my yi down to the yongquan (bubbling well point) & bring whatever tiny amount of qi there I could. This eventually wore a path thru the tight area at the knee joint.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

One More Method for Getting Qi Past Knee Joint

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:00 am

As Dan pointed out above, the added pressure on the knees joints when standing makes it more difficult to circulate qi thru this area. One way you can get qi thru the joint is to do your zhan zhuang sitting in a chair so that the weight is off your knees. Get into your usual zhan zhuang position, arms raised, etc, only sitting with your legs loose in front of you, touching the ground as they would if standing. Obviously, this sitting zhan zhuang should not replace the genuine standing practice. Once you can circulate the qi past the knees joints, give up the sitting practice.

Please cross refence this thread with the tread:

Internal Work According to Yang Taijiquan Lineage

http://www.grtc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171