Ken
Is this Taiji master's power real ?

Post by Ken » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:29 am

Is this Taiji or just parlour tricks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzIjUR-mHCY

J HepworthYoung

Re: Is this Taiji master's power real ?

Post by J HepworthYoung » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:23 am

I consider it neither taiji, nor parlor trick.
I do not know what to think.

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:56 pm

Notice that the demonstration requires specific postures of teacher and student and involves no outsiders. This demonstrates that even if this interaction is genuine, it is not practical for self defense or martial arts. The idea that this guy could thwart a genuine attack at high speeds with what he is demonstrating seems silly. My teacher told me of two people he met who he could not move or injure with a strike. In a park in Taiwan he asked a man to do push hands and the man said he would only if my teacher would try to hit him and move or hurt him. My teacher was not able to move the man, and the man was not interested in doing push hands. My teacher said it hurt his hand to strike the man. I welcome any demonstration of skill in such a direct manner. Having no problem with strangers hitting you seems better proof of mastery than making students twitch and jump. But I am no master so feel free to disregard me.

Psi Man

Post by Psi Man » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:06 am

I wouldn't doubt the dude's skills, but the whole showcase is pretty hokey. The energy stuff looks a lot like Systema drills, where the student reacts in a specific way to the master's non-physical intent.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:37 pm

There is another possibility that hasn't been considered yet, and please don't shoot me down in flames even though it may be provocative to some. This might be spiritual power. I was in Christian ministry for many years and saw two kinds of spiritual power - from God and from the other side. This guy wouldn't be working with God's power because it isn't actually doing any good or proving God is real. He may, perhaps without knowing it, be tapping into what we'd call a demonic spiritual power. In other words, he might be being "used". If you want to discuss that in detail, best do it by pm. Just another thought to throw into the mix of possibilities.....
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:55 pm

Calling unexplained things demonic is a common reaction to the unknown for religious people.
It is your right to do so.

Tashi James

Post by Tashi James » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Psychologists call it cognitive dissonance, it applies to any new information and how we adapt our current knowledge to accept or deny the new information.

Remember until recently Newtonian physics was the only accepted norm, however, quantum physics has empirically shown that some atoms react in contradiction to newtonian laws to the point that they defy our existing knowledge.*

In any case personal experience of such things as in the video is the best legitimating factor. Some of us have experienced thios in terms of how we 'know' the efficacy of fajin, if only on a rudimentary level, as the agent of it. Even if one can't yet fajin, (s)he may have experienced it during training with a more experienced duifung, thus legitimating its efficacy.

*The following titles, all by working physicists, attempt to communicate quantum theory to lay people, using a minimum of technical apparatus.

* Richard Feynman, 1985. QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, Princeton University Press. ISBN 0-691-08388-6
* Ghirardi, GianCarlo, 2004. Sneaking a Look at God's Cards, Gerald Malsbary, trans. Princeton Univ. Press. The most technical of the works cited here. Passages using algebra, trigonometry, and bra-ket notation can be passed over on a first reading.
* N. David Mermin, 1990, “Spooky actions at a distance: mysteries of the QT” in his Boojums all the way through. Cambridge Univ. Press: 110-176. The author is a rare physicist who tries to communicate to philosophers and humanists.
* Roland Omnes (1999) Understanding Quantum Mechanics. Princeton Univ. Press.
* Victor Stenger, 2000. Timeless Reality: Symmetry, Simplicity, and Multiple Universes. Buffalo NY: Prometheus Books. Chpts. 5-8.
* Veltman, M. J. G., 2003. Facts and Mysteries in Elementary Particle Physics. World Scientific Publishing Company.
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

Tony Mosen

Post by Tony Mosen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZW78RXo ... re=related

Have a look at this guy'

About halfway through the clip he gives a modest demonstration of his Nei Gong ability. (not fajin) sorry i went a bit off topic.

I edited my post so as not to confuse Nei Gong with Fajin.

I have been on the recieving side of a VERY MILD fajin from one of the five Chen style GM by means of a shoulder strike which would not have looked anything amazing from someone elses view but did however leave me feeling quite ''rattled'' shall we say.

The ''Happy Fajin'' where people go bouncing away i have yet to experience so i cannot comment... 8)
Last edited by Tony Mosen on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:30 pm

I make tremendous effort to remain objective.

Demonstrations of this sort cannot be taken as credible if the demonstrator cannot perform it on all people, or is depicted showing it on a very limited group such as students only. Fajin is a fine example of this, someone who can perform a fajin powered motion can do so with anyone.

Clearly something is occurring, something potentially profound even.
My taijiquan teacher mentioned a video he saw where people were told a person was a qi-gong master and then they started moving and feeling in response to his qi! The funny part was that the person was not a qi-gong master, or even someone who practices at all! And then in the same video they had a qi-gong master, who was trying to get a response from people, but they were not told he was a qi-gong master! So the qi-gong master could not move people while normal people were able to!

All people have power, more than we know, more than we can know.

That other video, the TV show, is interesting. I could use a strong micro magnet and the same positions of body and hands to show the same motions. However I am not convinced that is what is happening, it is only a possibility. Still the guy in the video seems visually and behaviorally to be an attention seeker, this indicates to me that his personality is likely of the type capable of misleading others for attention, however I am not convinced he is misleading. He certainly is an attention seeker though.

TienLungTaoist

Post by TienLungTaoist » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Since I was ten I have been studying martial arts and I have felt enough of chi to have full believe in it and that it works in a very natural way so much do I acknowledge it that I am studying to become a doctor of TCM. However, If this can only be produced on a student, even if it does work in such a way, if you cannot use it on a person not willing to let it be used on him/her then it serves no purpose. Other than in a fight we have no right to take our opponent freedom of motion and freewill therefore if we cannot use it in a fight to stop our opponent from harming us or others then its not effective in my opinion. I have been hit lightly and I have been hit hard when it was my master hitting me even light physical contact felt like a truck and my will to fight or to let him do it again, for that matter, was erased. In my own taichi and Gung Fu practice I have felt times were I have achieved a great deal of energy circulation and release so to the point I have surprised my self. In one sparring class I lightly taped a guy using brush knee going down and he ended up with his feet crossed in the ground asking me what it was I did. And at the same time I felt as if I had done every single movement of the technique perfectly down to the marrow of my bones with an electrifying and bold feeling as I did it. Just a feeling of it was done with no intention yet the intention was there. I cant explain it well. :mrgreen: I think the deeper involved in the martial arts specially the internal martial arts, the more you doubt the dogmatic ideas of human limits as pertaining to life energy and the more you come into enlightenment of the wonders of natures perfection. And the more you realize you have more to learn :D End of chapter 1 of my novel. rofl

tjqinterest

Post by tjqinterest » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:31 am

One explanation can be found here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCFxPA_Io4