Test Cutting Analysis

This Forum is a place for students of swordsmanship to ask advice from moderators Paul Champagne & Scott M. Rodell on how to practice test cutting in a manner consistent with how swords were historically used in combat. Readers use this Forum at their own risk.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, PaulC

KyleyHarris
Test Cutting Analysis

Post by KyleyHarris » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:57 am

I'm just wondering how many people take photographs of their test cuts in different materials to create a cutting biography. Its just an idea I have for looking back and measuring cuts, and detailing what i did, or did not do, in a particular cut.

Also, what different cutting materials do you find give you the most feedback about your cut.

For Example

Here is a cut today that I did an a Coke Can. I find coke cans give good feedback about cutting angle. If your angle is terrible then they tend to crumple before the blade rather than cut.

This particular cut was quite interesting. You can see that the Edge of the Top half of the cut is crisp and clean. The bottom half has actually been rolled over and created a lip on the can.

My Thoughts are that the blade alignment was angled a little high from my direction so the edge angled up to create a clean cut, and the bottom bevel because of the angle rolled the cut over on the bottom.

I find these cans cut perfectly crisp and clean leaving sharp edges with a good edge alignmnt (no matter what the entry angle is)

Any thoughts?

Linda Heenan

Re: Test Cutting Analysis

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:54 am

I've put some of ours in this thread viewtopic.php?f=9&t=938 and there is more in this section of the Chinese Swords Guide, including an interactive section that is not highly used yet http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com/sword-cutting.html
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com