Chait Gallery Auction Rip Off

This forum is for posting Chinese Swordsmanship product test results conducted by Center Director, Scott M. Rodell. Any manufacturer may submit a product for testing.

Moderators:Scott M. Rodell, Philip Tom

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin
Chait Gallery Auction Rip Off

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:58 pm

photo.JPG
Severely Bent Sword Purchased from Chait Gallery
photo.JPG (241.63KiB)Viewed 52880 times
Last month I noticed a jian (Chinese Straight sword) offered at I.M. Chait Gallery/Auctioneers in their auction. The below photo is the as it appeared in the catalog which was described as,
"Chinese Sword with Shagreen Scabbard
Old replica of a Chinese long sword; with lacquered shagreen scabbard and heavy hilt (some wear); L: 41""

Though obviously a late piece, I thought there might be something worth salvaging, and placed an online bid. I won. Four weeks after the end of the sale I still had not received the sword, so I contacted Joey Chait at the Chait Gallery. About 2 weeks later, after being charged $50 for shipping the sword arrived.

When I opened the box it arrived in, I was honestly stunned to find the sword severely bent and dents in the fittings, here are two photos of the sword-

When I brought this to Chait Gallery's attention, their response was essentially to ask if I had asked for condition report?

Their position is that just because the blade was photographed to make it appear as if it is is straight, I should have not assumed that it was. Likewise, though the fittings were described as having "some wear," it is my mistake to assume that meant there weren't large dents. Gee, it is my fault as a customer to assume that Chait Gallery would't deliberately attempt to fool me? Note that there is no link to or mention of a condition report on Chait Gallery Auction item web pages.

Naturally, Chait Gallery is trying to stick my with this severely damaged sword. To be certain, the CA Deptment of Consumer Affairs will be hearing from me, amongst others. In the meantime, buyers beware, if they would so flagrant hide such damage on this piece, it stands to reason they have done it before and will do it again… You be the judge...
Attachments
Lot 473 Sword-1.jpg
Lot 473 Sword-1.jpg (242.49KiB)Viewed 52880 times

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chait Gallery Auction Rip Off

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:50 pm

Looks like I am not the first to be ripped off by Chait Galleries…
Just a few Chait Gallery reviews Quoted from Yelp:

Beware!!! I was won and purchase three items from this company, They said that is antiques, But everything's new, nothing is antique. Beware this company, They always cheat your money, Never return you items, You can not get your money back.
David L.
Carrollton, TX

bid on and won 3 Chinese vases by their absentee procedure - paid oveaardvarkantiques@prod… $100 for s/h - when received i found 1 of the vases had 2 significant chips which were not noted in the auction listing (these significantly effected the value and would have caused me not to bid had i known). i wrote to Joey Chait and was told there was no damage when they listed the vase & it must have happened in shipping. i explained that they packed extremely well and there is no way it could happen in transit but had to occur during packing or at the gallery and sent pictures - he never replied! i sent 3 more emails - still no reply.

bottom line = they just cannot be trusted if your an absentee bidder.
Allen G.
Alpharetta, GA

Purchased an "antique" "jade" item from them. Make sure you see their items in person. I know for a fact they buy stuff from ebay to sell at their auctions - that says it all. I now have a very expensive rock. Their pictures are great, but the items don't always live up to the pictures.
Bob W.
Chicago, IL

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chait Gallery's History of Theft by Deception.

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:53 am

And the story continues...

Received an email from Joey Chait this morning where he wrote: "I have also sent an email about you to our auction house list, which goes out to every major auction company in the USA and Canada to let them know that you are difficult to deal with, and make threats. It also sounds like you have done this sort of thing before with others."

To be clear, until now, I have never had cause to write to or complaint about an auction house and i have bought from auctions for many years.

Theft by Deception is still Theft.