ideal practice time

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

inflammablefish
ideal practice time

Post by inflammablefish » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 pm

Let's say that in the best of all possible worlds where we have unlimited time to practice at any hour of the day, what would be the ideal time of day to practice? Morning at first waking, at night before bed, midday?

Instinct tells me morning at first waking when the body is fresh and the mind isn't filled with the day's worries and stresses.

Is there one true answer for all practice or would it be divided based on what exercise e.g. form practice in the morning, Zhan Zhuang at night?

Seeing that we do not always occupy the best of all possible words I will take practice time at any time of the day but I was just curious to see if there were any prescribed times as set forth by the powers that be.

Thanks,

Rich
"When you 'teach' you rob someone of exercising his intelligence, while exercising your own." - Harry Wachs

Juan Botero

Post by Juan Botero » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:01 pm

In my experience, anytime during day or night is the same to practice Tai Chi. No matter when or where, and no matter if it is form or basics or zhan zhan. One hour of practice is one hour of practice is one hour of practice.

I'd also like to see what more senior students think about it.
Juan

jai64

Post by jai64 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:48 pm

I always heard you should practice form as soon as you wake and last thing you do before you go to sleep at night.

I found this really drills it into your subconscious. Not just with form but with anything you do.

Myself I find late morning works best for me. Starting too early just does not seem to be an effective workout.

No matter what kind of workout I do during the day, I always do a few rounds before bed. I seem to get a much better flow. Maybe its because I am more relaxed.

But like Juan said...an hour of practice is an hour of practice.

...IMHO
- joe

taiwandeutscher

Post by taiwandeutscher » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:41 am

Chinese teachers told me, not to practice between 11 am and 1 pm (too hot in Asia), good for the qi-circulation in the body should be 3 -5 or 5 -7 am and also late at 11 to 1, but that would appliy to fulltime practictiones with no after duties.

I personally prefer the 2, 3 hours after sunrise (very early in summer, a bit later in winter) or early evening, not later than 9.30 pm, otherwise it's hard to fall a sleep.
hongdaozi

tennytigers

Post by tennytigers » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:53 pm

the 11 to 1 thing is a chinese medicine it is when yin is changing to yang and visa versa.
3 to 5 is to do with replenishment of lung chi.
the way that can

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:23 am

taiwandeutscher wrote:Chinese teachers told me, not to practice between 11 am and 1 pm (too hot in Asia)...
The 11 to 1 time slots (noon & midnight) are very good times to practice as far as qi is concerned, however, as your teachers pointed out, weather can trump this.

The most important thing is to practice the same time each day because just as your body gets use to eating at the same time each day & is ready to absorb nutrients, if you practice working on your qi at the same time each day, the body is ready to absorb qi then as well,

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:11 pm

With all seriousness and respect: do time zone changes and daylight saving changes have an effect upon circadian meridian cycles?

If I cross time zones will my meridian cycles change( fast/slow either/any way) or would my cycle perhaps not match that of the locals?

To tie in this topic would I keep my routine in time with my home time zone or play it as a 'when in rome' type of aspect? When I travel that is.

Laoshi if I may ask:
Being a traveler what are your personal experiences with this in regard to your own chi flow and practice routines?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:08 pm

J HepworthYoung wrote:... do time zone changes and daylight saving changes have an effect upon circadian meridian cycles?...
Laoshi if I may ask:
Being a traveler what are your personal experiences with this in regard to your own chi flow and practice routines?
Follow the time where you are. The earth & sun are much bigger than any one of us... If your qi is strong enough, then it will automatically reset you internal clock to where you are, so you won't be jet lagged, however, that is not to say you won't need rest or feel sleepy from lack of sleep, but you won't wake up in the middle of the night.

rich46341

Re: ideal practice time

Post by rich46341 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 am

inflammablefish wrote:Let's say that in the best of all possible worlds where we have unlimited time to practice at any hour of the day, what would be the ideal time of day to practice? Morning at first waking, at night before bed, midday?

Instinct tells me morning at first waking when the body is fresh and the mind isn't filled with the day's worries and stresses.

Is there one true answer for all practice or would it be divided based on what exercise e.g. form practice in the morning, Zhan Zhuang at night?

Seeing that we do not always occupy the best of all possible words I will take practice time at any time of the day but I was just curious to see if there were any prescribed times as set forth by the powers that be.

Thanks,

Rich
I like to practice in the am and at noon then around 7pm. I am retired so I have alot of time. When I was doing classes it was early in the am. I try to get in 3 hours a day. Best Wishes and Move Slowly, Rich46341
Breaking bad habits and creating good ones.