Hello

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

shenme
Hello

Post by shenme » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:29 pm

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I have trained Taiji for almost 17 years and for the last (almost) 14 years I have trained Yang style Tajiquan as it comes form Tung Ying Jie.

CERogers

Hello!

Post by CERogers » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:33 am

Welcome to the forums. Are you now practicing at Great River?

shenme

Post by shenme » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:21 pm

No I do not practice at great rivers, I hope that is not a prolem

I was looking at your site and I liked the discussions so I joined.

I still train with my sifu which is Yang style from Tung Ying Jie

TCosta

Post by TCosta » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Welcome, shenme! It is no problem that you do not study at Great River. I look forward to your input.

-Trevor Costa

Francisco Romero

Hello!

Post by Francisco Romero » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:24 pm

Hello.

I want to use this post to introduce myself as well.

I am from Spain (Europe) and have rediscovered the jian swordmanship. It took me days to discard all the myths about this fencing style after watching many movies of the "Crouching tiger Hidden Dragon" kind, and this forum helped me a lot, so thank you for all your posts and questions.

I live in a very small town in the mountains and the nearest city with a decent master or instructor is pretty far away, but after reading the articles from Linda Heenan (my inspiration in this project) I will try to develop some basic skills. I have already order the Scott Rodell's DVD and book and some others on the straightsword (Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming), and I have a sturdy (but rat-tailed :cry: ) SLO that will do untill I can put my hands on a good waster or a decent sword. Fortunately, I have training in other martial arts and some european swordmanship, and I will take things very easy. I hope I can find somebody here to train with me and that in the future I can assist to a seminar or something from the GRTC.

Well, that's all. Please forgive my english. I hope I can contribute to this forum.

Francisco Romero

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello!

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:10 am

Francisco Romero wrote:Hello.
I want to use this post to introduce myself as well.

I am from Spain (Europe) and have rediscovered the jian swordmanship...
I live in a very small town in the mountains and the nearest city with a decent master or instructor is pretty far away... in the future I can assist to a seminar or something from the GRTC...
Greetings Francisco,

Welcome to the forum. I just to let you know there are Chinese Swordsmanship seminars several times a year in Europe. They are held in Holland, Germany & Estonia. Altogether, there are 6 meetings year. The next seminar is in September in Tallinn. You can always find a list of up coming trainings at: http://www.grtc.org/category/events/. And when you are ready, we can certainly set something up in Spain...

You might also want to joins GRTC's Facebook group for general news: http://www.facebook.com/greatriver

Francisco Romero

Re: Hello

Post by Francisco Romero » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Thank you Scott. I am reading the webpages and getting the idea. I see that the seminars are on weekends, that's great.

DVDs and book are arriving next week, and I can star some basics.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:35 pm

Francisco Romero wrote:Thank you ... reading the webpages... I can star some basics.
Basic are the place to start. Most want o rush ahead with forms but never learn the proper grip for a jian or how it differs from the dao (saber) grip...

Francisco Romero

Post by Francisco Romero » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Ok, I finally got your book Chinese Swordmanship · The Yang Family Taiji Jian Tradition, and now I understand that this was the first place were I had to get the information from. I was looking for something like this, because I have some books about swormanship and I can tell when somebody has done a real research on the subject. I appreciate your warning in the book about people confusing taiji jian and shaolin jian cuts, I was getting that way.
Scott M. Rodell wrote:Most want to rush ahead with forms but never learn the proper grip
Sincerely, forms in jian are very atractive and maybe they give you the fake feeling that you are mastering the art, and it is what I wanted to do first because it is flashy, but the more I read about jian the more I realize that it is like the european longsword, Silver's shortsword or english quarterstaff, you have to do what you are doing in every movement, and every movement counts.

Well, let's read the book over and over and paractice.