A Few questions about swords, styles, and cultures...

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

JonathanKaplan
A Few questions about swords, styles, and cultures...

Post by JonathanKaplan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi there! I'm new to this forum, and I was wondering if there are any groups of people setting up sparring partners on their own, to try and discover their own way through the style more informally, rather than taking a course. Is there anyone into the more martial aspects of fighting with weapons that handle the same as their historical, martial counterparts in the Kentucky/Ohio/Tennessee area? I would love to meet some people! Also, what cultures have swords that closely approximate the way a Jian is built and used? I guess that would be a relatively long, straight, double edged sword with a point for cutting and thrusting? What is the Chinese term for the wooden training versions? I know Waster is European and Bokken is Japanese, but what is the Chinese term? Also, is anyone making "safer" but structurally sound and with-appropriate-handling-characteristics steel blunts for Jian? Who is making wood versions, and which place is the best for those? What company makes the best Jian for test cutting and single-person practice?

Also, are there any places where one can find Asian manuscripts that show the martial aspect of the form with similar weapons? Is there anything written down?

Edit: Please see my other post on this topic if you want to reply
viewtopic.php?p=3544