picking a place to start

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

gchan
picking a place to start

Post by gchan » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:54 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a sword collector who is especially interested in Chinese swords and I'm looking to get started in tai ji. I have looked around locally for a bit to try and sort tai ji quan from tai cheese.

I found a school with a head master named Chen Zhonghua. They teach Chen style tai ji with many branches. I was wondering if anyone knows about the reputation of Chen Zhonghua?

here is their website: http://www.chenzhonghua.com/

Thanks.

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:51 pm

I know of him, and I have heard very good things about Master Chen Zhonghua.

And the fact that he has been officially appointed to carry on Hong Junsheng's tradition endorses this, IMHO. Lineage doesn't have to mean a great deal, but it accouts for something.

Check the school out, and then be your own judge, my friend... That's always the best you can do.

Kind regards,

Tomita
'Taijiquan is mainly a solo affair, but companionship along the way is to be treasured'

-J. Dunbarr, quoted by John Loupos-

taiwandeutscher

Post by taiwandeutscher » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:17 pm

Yes, good reputation, even among Chen village desciples. Go for it, but stay open minded and also try different styles.

gchan

Post by gchan » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:36 am

Thanks for the replies. Hearing that he has a good reputation from some people on this forum especially reassures me quite a bit. I guess I should feel lucky for having Chen Zhonghua himself in my city. Although I will probably still need to rely on Mr. Rodell's expertise for the sword aspect later on.

He also teaches a style called Hunyuan tai ji. Anyone heard of this style? What distinguishes it from the others?

I see that they teach wushu as well. That's a minus in my book. :(

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:29 pm

gchan wrote:... will probably still need to rely on Mr. Rodell's expertise for the sword aspect later...
Thanks for your support, but don't hold a lack of experience in Chinese historical swordsmanship against a teacher at any level. Jianfa was nearly a dead art (though we're working hard & have turned the corner) Until now, many excellent practitioner just never had the chance to study this art.

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:22 pm

gchan wrote:He also teaches a style called Hunyuan tai ji. Anyone heard of this style? What distinguishes it from the others?

I see that they teach wushu as well. That's a minus in my book. :(

Hunyuan taijiquan combines Chen style tjq with Xinyiquan. It was developed by GM Feng Zhiqiang.

Hunyuan certainly embodies the yin and yang theories, which is expressed through the spiralling patterns inside the body that are characteristic of the style.
As I stated, hunyuan it is a complete system that borrowed from other styles or systems; Hunyuan comprises Xinyi Liuhe internal training with Chen style chan si gong. Therefor, it is also known as Xinyi Hunyuan Chen style taijiquan.

The forms within the system are 24 32 48 movement forms, the 32 38 46 71 movements pao chui or cannon fist.

Weapons are dao, jian and staff.

Also in the curriculum are pushing hands, both fixed and moving, and free sparring.

Wushu should not be a minus, but that is for you to decide, my friend. If you don't want to do it, then just don't. But for others, it might be something they consider worthy of their interest.

I hope this helped, but be advised that I don't practise this style myself.

Kind regards, and keep us posted, ok?

Tomita
'Taijiquan is mainly a solo affair, but companionship along the way is to be treasured'

-J. Dunbarr, quoted by John Loupos-

grtboj

Post by grtboj » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:10 pm

Chen Zhonghua has the nicest Chen Straight sword form I have seen. What I find unique about him as a teacher, is that he never fails to teach any movement or technique without also instructing all the variables involved in its practical application. He demonstrates a remarkable capability to communicate finer nuances of the true martial practicalities. Here are two short clips of one move from the sword form, illustrating an example of my point. (You can find other clips showing more of his sword form on his websites and blogs.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odzP3WXZ ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDTjm-zc1wk