Good CMC training dvd?

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

vvanesse59
Good CMC training dvd?

Post by vvanesse59 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:03 pm

I am looking for a good CMC training dvd so I can learn the 37; any recommendations? I am unable to locate anyone in central Illinois that does CMC 37 just the 24 Beijing (which I do). I find two USA people with vids but dont know what to think. Pekor and Phillips both in NY. Pekor touts "early CMC" and explains that it is his idea of what Cheng would have done in his earlier years. Comments? Vic in Illinois

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:13 pm

:arrow: At GRTC we have a CMC form DVD where I demonstrate the form, which is shown from the back view, so it is easy to follow along, with the side view in a box in the corner. This video was made to help students learning the from at GRTC, so it doesn't include any instruction. If you want a copy, send me a private message & send a check for $22 for the DVD & shipping to:

GRTC
1325 18th Street NW
Suite 210
Washington, DC 20036

Lucas van der Aart

Post by Lucas van der Aart » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:37 am

The two best DVD's I know on the CMC form are the one from Ben Lo (Benjamin Pang Jeng Lo) and the one from Master Hsu.

Ben Lo is one of the most senior students of Professor Cheng Man-Ch'ing alive and very exact in his teachings. He lives in San Francisco and you can order the DVD from him. Being a student of one Ben Lo's students I am of course biased towards him. However, comparing with several other direct students of Cheng Man-Ch'ing and the three movies of Cheng Man-Ch'ing doing the form himself, I can vow that he is precise and sincere and highly recommend his DVD.

Cheng Man-Ch'ing's own DVD is I think very interesting if you already know the form, but maybe not the best if you want to learn it.

I think that the DVD from Master Hsu is also very good (and a little bit more colourful production). I think that Master Hsu is the current president of Professor Cheng Man-Ch'ing's Tai Chi school in Taiwan. Downside is that you have to order it from Taiwan (and you might end up sending cash to Taiwan as I have been doing). Let me know know if you are interested in either and I can do some digging to find the appropriate addresses.

Finally, both options will be more expensive than Scott's own DVD!

Best Regards,

Lucas

vvanesse59

Post by vvanesse59 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:17 am

Thanks to both for response. I am still looking before buying. I have found outlet for Ben Lo and thanks for recommendation. He is a little pricey at $75. and $5 shipping US but is probably very much worth it. I will look for Hsu video now that I have another name.I did find via google this info..... "Tricia Yu began her study of tai chi in the Republic of China in 1970 with 90-year old Taoist Master Liu Pei Ch'ung. Her teachers include Yang style masters Benjamin Pang Jeng Lo, William C.C. Chen, and Maggie Newman." Anyone heard of her? She is in Wisconsin as I see it on Amazon dvd blurb. I also have seen (years past Terry Dunn) but didnt know much about anything at the time so just wondering if any other opinions. Also William C Phillips in NY studied under CMC and has dvd..... Still looking and developing patience as I am not wanting to become overanxious. Kinda like buying a new car you want to research and get the bang for the buck! I may wind up getting a couple of the dvds as often time each has bits of info the other may not have. Here one has to be careful of what he is receiving though. I still havent given up on Scott's $22 offer but am looking right now for more "instruction". Vic

Lucas van der Aart

Post by Lucas van der Aart » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:42 am

Hi Vic,

Here is the link for Master Hsu : http://www.37taichi.org.tw/BookDVD_e.htm

I think they charge $20 for shipping and handling, so it might be an idea to see if you can find somebody to combine an order (e.g. for the original movies of Cheng Man Ching himself). Well, even without combining it is still cheaper than Ben Lo's tape.

I don't know Tricia Yu, I can only say that I personally always like to be as close to the source as possible.

Best Regards,

Lucas

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:58 am

vvanesse59 wrote:... still looking before buying... Kinda like buying a new car you want to research and get the bang for the buck! I may wind up getting a couple of the dvds...
To be honest, given what the art can be worth to your life, health, spending $22 or $80, or even better, buying all recommended DVDs, is very cheap... you aren't buying a car, you're gaining access to an art...

While I take a very traditional approach to learning & teaching, I am happy to make use of modern technology. Video is a great way students can improve their home practice, using it to check form details, timing etc... but I am sure you understand, there are some things you just can't learn from books or DVDs, a relationship with a good teacher is priceless...

vvanesse59

Post by vvanesse59 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:21 am

Thanks Scott. I must agree that having more than one dvd and/or book is advantageious. Right now I am just trying to get started in CMC 37 so am looking for a "good" start video. I will probably wind up buying several before it is over as I have seen in other dvds teaching the same thing subtle differences that need to be researched and each teacher has bits of information and/or corrections that can be studied. I really regret that I am unable to find anyone in the area (within about 2 hours driving) that does other than 24 form. One teacher in 45 mins teaches Chen but you have to "prove yourself in 24" somehow before he will do Chen. I really didnt want to dig into Chen at this time. Oh well, sad story of the wannabe eh? I do appreciate your forum and will be peeking about now and then. Vic in IL