Help with starting Sanshou / free hands practice

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Alan
Help with starting Sanshou / free hands practice

Post by Alan » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:32 pm

Hi

I just finished reading Mr Roddell's taiji notebook, which I thought was a very good down-to-earth overview of taiji.

I've been practising a branch of CMC style for a number of years - within this branch we do form, standing practice, Mr Liu's 'dragon exercises', push-hands (and a bit of 'free' push hands), sword form, fencing and da lu. I have increasingly felt that although that is all great stuff, you never really get the feeling that you have ever realistically tested your ability in less safe / controlled situation which might be closer to a 'real fight' where someone is making a serious attempt to strike you or worse.

This view seems to be mirrored by some of William CC Chen's articles where he says something to the effect that the only way to learn to fight is to fight. Mr Roddell book also seems to express a simliar view.

As such I've been thinking about trying to do some Shanshou type practice with a taiji friend - however, as none of our local CMC tai chi teachers practice this, we would be starting from scratch / unsupervised (although we have both practiced the things mentioned above for a few years).

My question is really how should we approach this, without resorting to an all out brawl, or unrealistic sparring. I note Mr Roddell's comments that Sanshou or free hands is not practised as sparring or fighting. I also assume it's not the same as free style push hands (or at least the version I have practised) as he mentions bruises and punches to the nose etc.

Any suggestions on how to start this practice would be most welcome (and also whether it is normal to use gloves etc, like William CC Chen seems to do).

Thanks
Alan

Marko Kohv

Post by Marko Kohv » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:13 am

Most basic suggestion is that you start very slowly and keeping the speed even, to be sure that You actually are using taiji techniques. That is harder than one usually thinks. Remember that during real strike you cannot change direction or type of the strike .

At first its good to practise footwork alone, random patterns and different steps - be sure that you always keep your root and balance. Then youre able to move freely in any direction you can add the hands - do the techniques from form in random order and directions. Increase speed. It's shadowboxing.

With partner. Take one element at once and even then start slowly- for example, start with jabs (linear strikes) one hand only and the partner will use roll-back for deflecting. Be sure that You are using it correctly. Then its ok add the other hand - you may start 1-2-1-2-1-2 and afterwards strike with random order like 1-1-2-1-2-2. If its ok, then rise the speed a little. The partner may add the transition from deflection to strike - You just let him strike.
Resist a little bit and a then bit more to get the transition right.

Then take the hook (rotational strike) and peng. Work it up like previous. Combine both of those etc. You got the idea.

Practise form applications above random movement .
For power - beat the boxing bag at first lightly, correct any errors then add power a little bit. Its also good training to have a partner holding hand pads, that you must strike. Start fixed step and fixed pads one type of strikes. Then add step by step free movement, other types of strikes, attacks from the padholder (legkicks, shoots to the legs, trying to grab around you etc.).

Try free figthing - start slowly, keep the pace even ...rise the speed a little bit.

Injuries will happen, so better start slowly and take your time.
We use mma gloves in our school, those are needed then the speed and power increases. At first you can start without those (slowly and lightly, but be sure that you really hit the partener - no stopping before the contact, no thougths that "I got him but let away because I'm so good...).