Taizu Long Fist/ KWON BUP Project

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Bruce W Sims
Taizu Long Fist/ KWON BUP Project

Post by Bruce W Sims » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:30 am

Hi Folks:

Call this my way of saying "hello" and introducing myself. There seem to be a lot of familiar names here so I am not exactly among strangers, ne?

I thought I would use the TCC area to say "hi" because I am involved in an on-going project to make the KWON BUP chapter of the MU YE TOBO TONG JI (Lit: "Comprehensive Manual of Military Training") available to a wider range of KMA practitioners. People who are familiar with this work understand that the MYTBTJ represents the end of a process of Korean martial development beginning in the 16th century. The KWON BUP (Lit: "Fist Method") chapter draws its material from TAIZU Long Fist through the writings of Gen. QI Ji-guang (1526-1587) in much the same way as CHEN TCC took much of its own material from TAIZU Long Fist.

Though Gen QI wrote of 32 methods in his "Boxing Canon", the KWON BUP chapter only uses a handful of these methods, and in a very different order. Most people have tried to make a hyung or "form" out of just chaining the pictures together. Unfortunately this simply does not work this way as anyone who has tried to learn something out of a book by following static pictures will agree.

Quite recently I was able to secure DVD-s from China with knowledgeable Chinese practitioners performing the varios Boxing methods of the TAIZU Long Fist. How odd, yet fascinating, to see methods easily recognized by many TAI CHI CHUAN people executed in a more forceful--- almost "Cannonfist"--- way.

At any rate, I thought I would throw this out for what its worth in case anyone has thoughts about the project, questions, suggestions or ?????.

Best Wishes,

Bruce
Bruce W Sims
Midwest Hapkido

"What man is a man, who does not make the world better?"