Good guard wins the day...

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

G-Man
Good guard wins the day...

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:59 am

In sanshou class, Laoshi constantly has to remind us to keep our hands up. I thought this clip on youtube was a good illustration of why that's a good idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyokcLPl8wM

The fight starts at about the 0:55 mark. It starts out pretty rough and tumble, but the man in black, who's fighting three guys, quickly collects himself and displays some pretty decent technique. By the end, he's got a decent guard, is stepping pretty well, and takes advantage of the openings his not-so-talented duifang give him.
"Find the center of the circle and you can respond to any situation."

black matt

Post by black matt » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:44 am

G-man,
Are you doing youtube searches for a "Turkish Rambo" ;)

Definitely interesting to see a street fight. It looked like the guy in black threw the first punch at a legitimate time; the other guy was definitely up in his face and trying to back him up. I wonder if he knew the other guys were going to attack him. If so, running may have been a good option. He's definitely a tough guy, though. It's pretty amazing that almost all his punches connected and produced so many knockdowns- all this without getting hit by a car! The other guys were very, very stupid. They didn't just walk into the punches- they ran into them, especially the guy in white, which would explain why he nearly got himself killed.

G-Man

Post by G-Man » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:54 pm

Along the lines of keeping a good guard, if found this clip on youtube while looking for lei tai fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prrVeUSGgv8

Of course, I give these guys major props for getting in the ring and doing the best they can to use their martial art. I'm sure I wouldn't want my own sparring matches videotaped and put up on youtube :). That said, at one point in the match (1:29), the two combatants actually bump heads because neither has their hands up. Just think of the devastating punch one of them could have landed had they been prepared.

I like watching these fights and seeing how I could use form techniques in them. At first glance I thought there were openings for Fair Lady Weaves Her Shuttles all over the place, especially when the guy throws a hook and drops his off hand. There were also a few good places for a double-leg takedown. Thoughts?
"Find the center of the circle and you can respond to any situation."

Benny Bangarms

Post by Benny Bangarms » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:49 pm

unfortunately, that video got taken down.