Starting without a master

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

inime
Starting without a master

Post by inime » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:51 pm

Is it possible to learn taiji on my own. There are no taiji learning possiblities where I live, but I wan`t to learn this art. So is it possible and if so, where should I start?

Bests,
inime

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:17 pm

If you are determined to learn, nothing will stop you. You must have some sort of connection though and you will have to be prepared either to travel, or to bring more experienced people to you. You won't be able to truly learn it alone. Books and DVDs can help get you started but there are many pitfalls. One way or another you will need a teacher. I worked "alone" for 14 months. It was never really alone though. My teacher was on the other side of the world. During that time, I related to him and other students over the internet.

Take a look at your reasons for wanting to learn and see if they will carry you through difficulties others don't have to face. Perhaps you could get started by going to a seminar and practising the things you learn. To my mind, it is not the style of martial art you choose that is most important. It's the teacher.

Where do you live? Perhaps there is someone else going it alone in your area.