About michuan learning possibilities around the world

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

velochy
About michuan learning possibilities around the world

Post by velochy » Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:47 pm

I started studying michuan in Estonia in the Tartu group a few months ago. However, as I plan to go abroad for my masters or phd studies in about a year, I was wondering where I could continue learning the michuan lineage. There is a list of places and countries in AYMTA website, but i imagine it is not a complete one, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a better list.

Also, any thoughts about switching styles would be welcome.

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:42 am

Where are you moving to?

velochy

Dont know yet

Post by velochy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:34 pm

I dont know yet. Thats why Im asking actually. I probably have to decide it sometime in summer. As I have good grades, best supervisor in the country and a few other things on my side, I can probably choose quite freely. Topic of my BA and MA theses will play a big role as I want a university with a good math/CS (thats what Im studying in case you were wondering) department with people from the field of the topic, but i would also like to take other aspects like Taijiquan learning possibilities into account.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dont know yet

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:57 pm

velochy wrote:I dont know yet... I want a university with a good math/CS ... department...
Well, if Washington, DC has a University that fits your requirements, come join us...

velochy

I was considering it

Post by velochy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:26 am

I was considering it but there is a slight problem - namely that as I understand it DC universities have great humanities departments but not so good math ones. Of course, if anyone thinks im wrong i would be glad to be proven so.

Marko Kohv

Post by Marko Kohv » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:40 pm

I have a feeling that you start from wrong side. As I understand Your main objective is to get good math education and possibility to advance in michuan or taiji in general is just added benefit.

It's a lot easier to answer to your question then you give a list of suitable universities for you and then we can look together for taiji possibilities at those locations.

If its via versa (taiji more important than math) then just go to Washington DC :)

Juan Botero

Post by Juan Botero » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:10 am

Harvard and MIT are in Cambridge, MA. Still Mountain school (a school close to GRTC) is in Sommerville, MA. Both towns are just part of Boston metropolitan area, very close and connected by public transportation. They also have classes close to Philadelphia, where you have UPenn, a great school.

Georgetown, George Washington, American, and Maryland (College Park) are all in Washington, where GRTC is headquartered. All of them are fine schools.

You made me think that it is important not to put the ox behind the carriage. The hard part is to tell which one is the ox and which one the carriage. Thank you.

Good luck!
Last edited by Juan Botero on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

velochy

Thank you

Post by velochy » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:19 am

Thank you for the reply, Juan. The choice of schools you presented will definately give me a lot more to think about and definately widens my list of sensible choices. As far as the ox-cart dilemma, unlike marko (who is the teacher here in tartu) thought, I havent still decided which would come first for me. I have given it a lot of thought recently but the decision is quite complicated and im glad i may not have to make that decision all that soon.