Taiji Style?

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

tatsu
Taiji Style?

Post by tatsu » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:54 am

Hey, was just wondering what kind of taiji style ppl here practise? I know that most of the people here that are regulars practise the Yang Michuan style (which i confess to knowing very little about) but I was just wondering about the variation

I do Chen style myself, Xinjia, and was wondering if there were many other people out there that do chen style?

Roland Tepp

Post by Roland Tepp » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:20 am

I practice Michuan myself in Estonia, Europe
Roland

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:08 am

And I practise Michuan in Australia.

Tashi James

re.::style

Post by Tashi James » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:25 am

Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

TCosta

Post by TCosta » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:09 am

Here in DC, we start out practicing Yang Style, as transmitted by Cheng Man-Ch'ing. Our basic exercises, however, are Michuan basic exercises... at least they are listed (and photographed) on the Wang Yen-nien Daoguan site. After an unspecified amount of time, the Michuan Form is taught.

I have read that the Michuan Form is more obvious in its martial application than Cheng's/Yang Chenfu's public taijiquan form. Perhaps, Michuan is similar to Chen, in this way, as Chen is supposed to be more obvious, martially, as well.

Senior classmates may be able to confirm or deny this similarity. Unfortunately, I can not.

Dan Fleet

Post by Dan Fleet » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:41 am

Wu family style practitioner, here.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Checking in from Beijing, I just want to say, everyone is welcome, regardless of style or back ground... The Chinese saying:

Si Hai Zhi Nei Jie Xiung Di (Inside the Four Seas All Men Are Brother) sums it up nicely...

My Best to All...

tatsu

Post by tatsu » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:24 pm

cool, just wanted to grab a general idea of what everyone did here. it's fairly difficult finding a forum where some of the practioners are actually based in australia, so i was just curious if there were any other sydneysiders like meself here :lol:

taiwandeutscher

Post by taiwandeutscher » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:33 pm

In Taiwan, I practize Zheng Manqing 37, Song Zhijian 64, Wang Zihe 108 (all Yang), Chen style (old frame, 1. + 2. street combined form 38, new rame 84 and Huleijia 75).
Then a little Xingyi (5 Elements) and Bagua basic form, a littlermiao dao and some Taizu Sword, sbaer, stuff, Daoyin and neigong....
Never finished, but there is no hurry!

Linda Heenan

Blue Mountains

Post by Linda Heenan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:46 pm

Yes, we have a whole group going up here in the Blue Mountains. Ben comes up from Sydney every second weekend because that is when we do swordsmanship. This morning we worked on first section Michuan form. Then we practised the takedown from Grasp Sparrow's Tail that Laoshi recently put pictures of on the Michuan board. It works wonderfully well. After that we did some Push Hands Training, focussing on the first 5 exercises because one of our members had never done them before.

The next part of the morning was swordsmanship. We had a bit of a skirmish with dao and shield, just for fun. Then an every man for himself last one standing battle with Chinese weapons of choice. That was the warm up :D We then practised a Section 2 sword form application, did some other paired work, and finished with practise of the first half of Section 3 jian form.

Two of us will work on Section 2 Michuan over the school holidays, and then start up again in Term 2 with regular groups. We have a beginners group starting on 24th April. The Kids Sword Club will run in Term 2 and in Term 3, I am teaching swordsmanship to highschool children at the school I work at. So there is plenty going. The groups aren't always very big, but we are all making progress.

In July, I'm going to the Swordsmanship Festival in Estonia. There might be another Australian also attending. Perhaps you would like to join us. Then, next January, our teacher, Scott Rodell, will be here in Australia for seminars. Some of them will be in the Blue Mountains and some will be in Brisbane - dates: 4th - 13th January 2008, for anyone who wants to set their holiday dates and start saving.

Tatsu, why don't you give me a call (02) 4782 6593 or check out our website www.grtc.org.au

*Waves .... Hello Laoshi :) You're just across the sea a little way at the moment. I suppose that means you're closer to us Aussies, not further away, when you're in China.

Linda

tatsu

Post by tatsu » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:59 pm

I've been practising for 4 years now, with the new frame of Chen style, so i've done the 38 form, 86 form, and i've just started learning the 40 or 50+ odd jian form....so i'm not sure if i want to get battered and bruised just yet if i went out to the Mountains to participate Linda! :P

but yeh, networking with other people that do tai chi here in sydney seems to be a difficult task....it's not as mainstream (or for the lack of a better word, well known) as say, tae kwon do and karate have become, and it's near to impossible to find other students of Chen style here!

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:28 pm

Well ... I'm only part way into my third year, and that's 14 months longer than anyone else over here, so I think you'd find all the training in good body mechanics you've done for 4 years would help you get the hang of swordsmanship pretty quickly. It's true that all of us took bruises today, but it does help to wear your cricket gloves :P.

tatsu

Post by tatsu » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:20 am

lol we'll see.... i'm still not getting the waist to control the sword, it's coming from the shoulder most of the time, but once i really got going with it, i'd definitely b into doing some light sparring just to see if i could keep up :)

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:26 am

Scott M. Rodell wrote:Checking in from Beijing, I just want to say, everyone is welcome, regardless of style or back ground... The Chinese saying:

Si Hai Zhi Nei Jie Xiung Di (Inside the Four Seas All Men Are Brother) sums it up nicely...

My Best to All...
Scott-
I truly appreciate this attitude. I think it takes the best from the traditional approach and modern realities. Traditionally there was a larger martial world where members of different styles would be understood as martial brothers through their shared interest and skill. A romanticized version of this can be seen in many period novels such as "Outlaws of the Marsh" and others. This brotherhood would then stop at the training floor, where differing schools would compete and hide their secrets. Today, any kind of brotherhood can be difficult to find, so an online forum is one of the best ways to find it. Also traditional martial arts are no longer so much in direct competition with each other as much as with all the other distractions of the world. If we are to protect the knowledge we must indeed say "Inside the Four Seas All Men Are Brother".

I study something called "taiji shou" which is neither Chen nor Yang. It is unrelated to what most people understand as "taiji" both in movement and energy. The lineage has no relation to any regular kind of taiji, but it is not a recent creation. It is a fully-fledged traditional style. It is in the philosophical approach to the movement that I feel I have something in common with other taichi players.
Josh
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu

tatsu

Post by tatsu » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:25 am

totally agree with you there josh

I was merely asking just out of curiosity who was doing what particular style, so to see what kind of spread we have here :)

That is as it should be, that martial artists, as a community should be together as one in the purpose of helping and teaching whoever wants to learn... I know a few people that just say that "oh, my particular style is better than anyone else's for such and such reason" and it's a pity that they cannot concieve of learning something that is outside their particular art...but now i'm just waffling on i suppose :P