13 Posture routine; developed by who?

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

brianlkennedy
13 Posture routine; developed by who?

Post by brianlkennedy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:07 pm

Hello Folks,
Here in Taiwan there is a short Taiji routine that is devoted to the 13 postures. There was a Chinese book written a couple of years back on the routine by Chan Te-Sheng 詹德勝. That book is quite vague about the origins of the routine, although it is obviously built on a Yang or Cheng Man Ching framework. I suspect the routine was probably put together either by Chan Laoshi or Wang Yin Nien王延年.

The routine is laid out along the 8 cardinal points, that is an “+” with a “X” superimposed over it. The first half of the routine steps along the basic cardinal points; that is, towards the North, the South, the West and then the east. And what happens is you do the stock Yang Grasp Birds Tail sequence in the four directions.

Then in the second half of the routine the stepping is along the “X” points; which are the Southeast, the Northwest, the Northeast and ending with the Southwest. The core movement here is what Chan Laoshi in his book refers to as “Right/Left Dragon Turns Body”. The second half of the routine, unlike the first, has stepping backwards.

Does anyone know anything about who or when this form was put together. I am not asking just out of random curiosity; I am pondering writing a book on the routine. I actually think it is a fine short routine that has a lot to teach.

Great forum by the way, and Mr. Rodell, thanks for getting me set up.
Take care,
Brian Kennedy

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 13 Posture routine; developed by who?

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:54 am

brianlkennedy wrote:... in Taiwan there is a short Taiji routine... 13 postures.... I suspect the routine was probably put together... by... Wang Yin Nien???... Does anyone know anything about who or when this form was put together...
Wang Yennien created a 13 Posture Form at the request of the National Taijiquan Ass'n in Taiwan that fits the description of the form you describe. Wang Laoshi's 13 Posture form is widely practiced by students of the Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan lineage around the world. Many use it as the introductory beginners form in their schools.

The form Wang Laoshi create was not based on Cheng's frame. Having not seen the form you describe, I wonder if other teachers in Taiwan used the sequence & general layout Wang Laoshi created & simply exchanged the back weighted Michuan postures for those using bow postures? If you go by the memorial in front of the Grand Hotel any morning, you'll find a bunch of Wang Laoshi's old students practicing there, they can show you the 13 Posure Form.

brianlkennedy

Post by brianlkennedy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:26 am

Mr. Rodell,
That makes quite a bit of sense. Chan Laoshi happens to be the current head of the ROC/Taiwan National Tai Chi Association and I have heard him tell stories of his younger days studying under Wang Laoshi.

I strongly suspect you are 100% right, the set I am talking about was originally put together by Wang Yen Nien and then at some point somebody (may well have been Chan Laoshi or maybe some "committee") tweaked the set to use the bo stances.

In any event I do really like the set. If my time permits over the next year or so I do hope to do a small book on the routine.

And your suggestion to go over the the Grand Hotel and talk with the students of Wang Laoshi is an outstanding suggestion. I will try and do so.

take care,
Brian

taiwandeutscher

Post by taiwandeutscher » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:24 am

Ya, a nice little short form, which was also used to get 10000 people practice simultaniously togehter, for the guiness book of records. Widely practiced also in Japan.

President Chan of the Taiwan National Taiji federations is an often and very controverse discussed person; having met him several times, I have to admit that I didn't get the best of impressions, very political and social, not so much into training anymore.

But sooner or later, all short forms tend to make one curiouse for the traditional long ones. So, by any chance, if you have time to go to the Grand Hotel for a longer period, why not study some traditional longform?