About balance and flat feet

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

velochy
About balance and flat feet

Post by velochy » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:15 am

I have some serious trouble holding my balance (especially during kick-and-stretch and standing post on one leg, where it shows up the best). As I have flat feet, I asked my family doctor if that could affect balance. She said that it probably does and that I should do Taiji with the support soles I usually walk around with. As I have thus far done taiji barefooted, I was wondering if I should continue as is or heed my doctors reccommendation? Any thoughts and comments on this topic would be really appreciated.

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:05 am

Hey,

I would say that this is up to you to find out what is best for you. Do your form with the supporting soles, and see what you'll get as a result.

OTOH, your balance might improve over time through practise without the soles. So you might want to switch now and then between the two options.

I have similar problems, and through practise, I gained better control of the left foot and improved balance. I practise our Nine Palaces stepping for that specifically.

Talk about this with your teacher, assuming you have one. He might find you a good drill to get you going.

Hope this helps...

Kind regards,

Tomita
'Taijiquan is mainly a solo affair, but companionship along the way is to be treasured'

-J. Dunbarr, quoted by John Loupos-

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:52 am

Tomita -

Describe how you lose your balance. Do you find that you fall backwards during kicking stretching? Do you litle front/back or left/right on one legged postures?

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:23 am

Iglazer,

I tend to swerve to the right or left when I am standing on my left leg. It is a structural misalignment which was caused by haemorrhage right after premature birth...

The problem is that, to stand on my left leg, I have to gradually make that my centre. And thus I make it heavy, but my balance point is so fragile, that it is hard to maintain it. It's not an easy transmission for me. I think that my attention goes too low, and that I should try to have enough suport whilst still retaining my centre at waist level.

Am I making sense? Also, I hope the clues might be useful for Velochi, too. So, if you have suggestions, go ahead...

I should add, though, that I don't practise Michuan, so style specific clues might be misinterpreted by yours truly :roll: :wink:

Kind regards,

Tomita
'Taijiquan is mainly a solo affair, but companionship along the way is to be treasured'

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:45 am

Tomita wrote:The problem is that, to stand on my left leg, I have to gradually make that my centre. And thus I make it heavy, but my balance point is so fragile, that it is hard to maintain it. It's not an easy transmission for me. I think that my attention goes too low, and that I should try to have enough suport whilst still retaining my centre at waist level.
Okay, this makes sense.

One more question, when standing on one leg where is your mind intent? Is it in the raised leg? Is it in the leg attached to the ground? Is it elsewhere?

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:03 am

When standing on right, my yi is both in my root and the raised leg.

With my bad side, standing on left, this is harder. I have to focus most of my attention on the leg I am standing on. Because I have to overcompensate for the structural shotcomings, kind of.

I can see why that could be the problem, I just haven't found a way around it yet.

Cheers,

Tomita

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:12 am

In my experience, the most "important" leg for one legged postures is the leg attached to the ground. Too often people pay attention to the leg that is in the air, which not too helpful - that tends to draw the root up and out of the ground. Sounds like you aren't doing that, which is good.

velochy

Thank you for the replies

Post by velochy » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:24 am

Good to know Im not the only one with that problem. Unfortunately, unlike Tomita I have both legs flat. Despite that, right leg still feels somewhat better with regards to balance.
I have tried doing the form with the soles as well and it is considerably easier to hold my balance then. As I am still a beginner (started in october last year), the balance will probably get better. I was just wondering, wether it would be better to go down the easier path of using the soles or to keep working at it barefooted and let the balance improve gradually?

PS. It seems to me that iglazer was right about the mind intent. Focusing on the leg that is on the ground seems to help a lot. Thank you! :)

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:19 am

Well, I'd say practise mostly barefooted when you have some spare time at home and when you specifically want to train balance. Then appearance is not your main goal, the form is then a means to an end.

When you'd want to train your form to perfection, then I'd wear the soles.

Remember, though. I strongly feel that one's form is personal. If you can't be in balance for as long as fellow students in class, or if your kicks aren't that high, don't worry. Listen to your body, and over time, it will listen to you by improving it's own capabilities.

Glad we could help, and keep me posted, k?

Kind regards,

Tomita

Tashi James

re

Post by Tashi James » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:40 am

Laoshr advised me to be extra careful of getaway room when training barefoot. Add an extra 1/2 inch or so..
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).