The Training Hall

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

TCosta
The Training Hall

Post by TCosta » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:22 am

My first question would be: Is the proper terminology for the taijiquan training hall a "daoguan"?

Second, I found it interesting that Laoshi described a proper training hall as having eight sides.. perfect for doing diagonal steps and a perfect reflection of the Pakua.

Being an architect, I would be very interested in learning all that I can about the construct we call the training hall. Can anyone tell me more?

Thank you.

DavidM

Post by DavidM » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:53 pm

What a training hall is called is something I was wondering about too.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Training Hall

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:19 am

TCosta wrote:... proper terminology for... training hall a "daoguan"?...
Daoguan is one term for a martial arts training hall, dao as in daoism & guan as in gymnasium. This guan should not be confused with another guan used in the name of Daoist Temples, that guan is a different character & tone & literally means "watch."

Another common term for a martial training hall is wuguan. The same guan character as in the first example, with the wu meaning martial.

DavidM

Post by DavidM » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:56 pm

Thanks for that, it's one I've been wondering about for ages and never gotten around to asking.

Laoshi Rodell (perhaps this is a question that requires too much of an answer for here, but) when you say the same dao as in daoism, what is 'rough' translation of it's use (is it similar to the Japanese 'do', usually translated in English as 'way') ?

TCosta

Post by TCosta » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:16 pm

I have also noted, in class, that the more senior students are on the right hand side of the room, when we're facing front. This is typical dojo etiquette, and considering Japanese martial arts, as well as culture, have inherited much from the Chinese, I would not be surprised if this is on purpose.

For What puts the "Tao" in the dojo, see:
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=386

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:21 pm

I have attended classes in a couple of traditionally designed Chinese training halls in Indonesia. These replaced the original training site in a Ming era temple with a large outdoor courtyard. When Suharto made all Chinese things illegal and confiscated the grounds of the temple, the halls were built inside according to what I was told were the rules of "feng shui".

The training halls have very high ceilings with balconies overlooking them. This gives a feeling of space because the area over your head extends out of sight over the balcony. The other key ingredient is that there should be no pillars. These are supposedly inauspicious, but also dangerous because one could run into them. If one must exercise in a room with a pillar, it is good to hang things on them like a demon reflecting mirror, or even just a calendar. I don't know why, but it may make them easier to avoid. The more traditional of the two training halls had a floor around the sides where one could sit and watch, and then a six-inch step down onto the floor itself.
Josh
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu