Wuji

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Linda Heenan
Wuji

Post by Linda Heenan » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:51 pm

I would like to discuss the state of Wuji, to hear people's thoughts on the subject and try to define it more clearly for my own practise. I have heard it called a state of emptiness and that it is the state we aim for when beginning a form. But what sort of emptiness is that, since there is no such thing as nothingness? I'm thinking of it as the sort of readiness that holds all things in preparation but none in decision - the sense of being "in the moment". To my present thinking it is like having all substance and possibilities to hand without focussing on any, while having all in potential.

When we talk about wuji, are we meaning a state of mind only? I think it affects the body and spirit as well, but don't have this clearly defined.

Tashi James

wuji

Post by Tashi James » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:24 pm

I think of wuji in a similar way;

also I've hear it translated as "no extremes/extremities"

To me this is to imply that their is a state absorbed in fangsong both mentally and physically, any thoughts that arise are let to rise and fall without grasping at them in an way.

This I believe would be akin to being an extreme of yang to grasp and follow or an extreme of yin to do nothing at all, so I think their needs to be a laser like awareness or concentration internally; however without "tensing" the mind. Kind of like the form, if the mind is "smooth" aware yet relaxed, so shall the form..

Secondly it implies that physically my mind and "yi" intention is not directed to any one part of the body, or vessals for that matter.

In any case this may all be way off the mark, so I hope we get some more exact replies..lol :lol:
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

DavidM

Post by DavidM » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:54 pm

I considered the Wuji to be physically, as well as philosophically.

I mean, you don't have a full or empty leg, you are stationary and weighted on both legs, something not normally done in the form. So in this, there is no delineation (in weight) between Yin and Yang.

Just kind of what I had assumed...

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:14 am

Okay, let's hear some more on this topic. Also, while I'm at it, would some of the more experienced students please explain how they enter wuji and anything else that might be useful.

Margus

Post by Margus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:47 am

The "here and now" concept seems to be one of the most important ideas of the eastern thinking.

Western people, are constantly in war with the time - there is always something, what has to happen to the person, before he can allowed to feel satisfied and in peace with himself. The happiness is always just around the next corner. Without the understanding, that we actually are already there, we will never to reach it. There has ever been and will never be in the future nothing else than now. It contains a sense of complete emptiness and potential for everything at the same time.

If person occures in the combat and lets some punches through the defence, he will feel some strong sences and emotions with it.

He can hear the sound along with the punch to the head, witch seems to come from far away, feel the pain and dizzyness, the feet becoming heavy and the worst thing- the lack of air. If he gets stucked to this all, it will reduce his ability to act spontaniously, there are fear of the pain, defeat and the humility and the hatered against the other. There may be some ideas about payback, rolling over him, crushing him. But the truth is, that nor the senses about what has just happened, nor the things what he thinks would happen, dont have any use. It doesn't matter. Only thing, what matters in fight, is NOW. Every thought about the future or the past will reduce the persons capacity do deal with the moment. And in our everyday life - when somebody lives in the memories of the past (witch does not exist anymore) or in the thougts or fears about the future (wich does not exist yet) - then where does he live? Does he live at all?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wuji

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:36 am

Linda Heenan wrote:... the state of Wuji... a state of emptiness... for when beginning a form... what sort of emptiness is that...?... wuji, are we meaning a state of mind only?...

The Wuji "posture" at the beginning of taijiquan forms is meant to provide a clean slate from which to begin the form. There are various concepts or "types" of emptiness. For example, there is an emptiness that is a void, like a black hole, as in when one leads one's duifang into emptiness with a lu (rollback). Emptiness here is different than the empty mind that is free from thought so that it is in the here & now & not in some imagined place/time. It is this emptiness one should enter while standing in Wuji before beginning the form, letting go of all extraneous thoughts so that when one begins moving the mind is focused without distraction.

Wuji literally means, without ji. Ji here is the same character as in taiji. Apparently the ancient meaning of ji was the ridge pole on a house. As Chinese houses were faced south to take advantage of fengshui, the south facing roof side was warmed by the sun & the north side stayed cool, where the warm & cool met (i.e. yin & yang joined) was this "ji." Therefore, wuji also means before the creation of yin-yang in the body when the weight is separated by sinking primarily into one leg.

Benny Bangarms

Post by Benny Bangarms » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:53 pm

linda, sorry i hadn't noticed your message until now. my 2 cents:

wuji has as much to do with the physical condition of the body as it does with the mind intent. so physically, the weight is evenly distributed. the body is fengseng. the breathing is full and relaxed. i use wuji at the beginning of the form as an opportunity to really make sure my weight is sunk down to the bubbling wells. like my whole body is a weightless balloon teathered to two 90 pound feet.

as for the mind, be aware of the internal and external without dwelling on either. if there are thoughts, let them go. i think ideally, part of the concept of "nonseparation of yin and yang" includes an experience of not percieving yourself to be separate from your surroundings.

there is a void out of which the movements of the form are created, but the void isn't "empty" the way we think of a vacuum. it's actually full of potential. this might be getting a bit philosophical, but that's how i think of it. when i begin, this is the experience i aim for.

i'm in the habit of circulating my qi a couple of times before i begin, but i think true wuji is more about fullness and less about circulation.