Diet and Nutrition

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Hsiao-Ting
Diet and Nutrition

Post by Hsiao-Ting » Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:32 pm

What are the staples of a Tai Chi bum's diet? Was Chang San-Feng a vegetarian? I believe I read that he didn't eat cooked crops (and lived mainly on fruit, nuts, raw vegetables, etc.) for several months a year. Is there any Taoist teaching on nutrition?

Thanks.

Mark M.

Post by Mark M. » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:53 pm

While the topic of food and nutrition is cooking, what are people's thoughts on WHEN to eat in relation to your practice (for example, is it counterproductive to eat right before or after your practice, does it not matter, is it what ever is comfortable for you, etc.)?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Eating Right

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:09 am

Who knows what Zhang (Chang) ate? Master Wang siad that martial arts who are training seriously must eat meat to keep up their strength. I found this to be true myself. When I was a bachelor, I generally didn't eat meat at home, shopping for one was too much trouble. So I only ate meat about once or twice a week. Slowly, over time, I was feeling less & less energtic. Was beginning to get concerned & wondered what was wrong. Then I spent a weekend with my parents who fed me lots of lamb & other meat. I bounced right back, full of energy. Since then I've been sure to eat enough meat.

Otherwise, everything in moderation. I drink, but no so much that I could not cut accurately, or otherwise lose a sense of my surrounding. No smoking, easy on the sugar.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:13 am

Mark M. wrote:...WHEN to eat in relation to your practice...)?
You should leave at least half an hour between practice & eating, before & after. If you ate a big meal, allow one hour for digestion. This is because after eating more blood goes to your stomach. When practicing, the qi is pushed out to the extremities, which also moves the blood outward. If you eat & then practice, the two actions are working against each other.

Hsiao-Ting

Mmmm, snake blood!

Post by Hsiao-Ting » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:08 pm

Lao-Shr, I had no question about your carnivorous bona fides after class the other night. I'm loving this dinner of snake flesh and scorpions! Ok, everything in moderation. I'm curious though, any vegetarians out there that get their protein power from alternative sources? :?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mmmm, snake blood!

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:16 am

Hsiao-Ting wrote:...no question about your carnivorous bona fides after class the other night... dinner of snake flesh and scorpions!...
I'll try almost anything once! Actually 'they' say bugs are full of protien...

Bede Bidlack

Nutrition

Post by Bede Bidlack » Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:48 pm

As Rodell Laoshi wrote, meat is considered a good thing for most people as far as the Chinese are concerned. One wants a balance of yin and yang. One can get yang energy (found in meat) from a variety of non-meat sources e.g. ginger. There are many good cookbooks on diets from the Chinese Medicine perspective (be advisted that macrobiotics, while it may mention yin/yang cosmology, is Japanese, a little whacky in my opinion, and nothing tastes good).

I have been a vegetarian for many years and find that it suits me. If my energy is low, it is because I haven't gotten enough sleep. We need to re-educate ourselves on sleep. In my opinion, it is the best thing for you your energy levels, immune system and overall mental attitude.

Benny Bangarms

nutrition

Post by Benny Bangarms » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:16 am

i agree with bede. i'm primarily a vegitarian and have been for years. i eat fish maybe once a month and other meat even less than that, but i have never had a problem with energy, as far as my taiji practice goes. i would add that, in addition to getting enough sleep, making sure the body is hydrated is essential to keeping your energy levels up and staying alert. also, as a vegitarian there are a number of nutrients you should make sure you are getting enough of, especially b-12 and iron. i also find that the usda reccomendations overestimate protein needs and undervalue vegetable needs.

in addition to ginger, try carrots and apples for extra energy.