'play the pipa'

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

ben hanawalt
'play the pipa'

Post by ben hanawalt » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:56 pm

I have seen Laoshi use a 'frog kick' (that is what I have heard it called.. please correct me if Im wrong) to strike an incoming jab. Previously, I had seen 'play the pipa' used very similarly.. although as a double strike against a jab..or punch.. at the time i thought it was poor taijiquan.. as I had been instructed that 'play the pipa' expressed 'pressing' (squeezing?) energy, as the two hands pressed together, as you took control of the duifangs arm.

any instruction would be helpful.

thanks

ben
From the earth.. into the fire.. fanned with air.. quenched in water नमस्ते

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:20 am

One other possible application of play the pipa is against a double punch, left-right combo or the other way round.

You intercept both arms with an inward movement from the waist and with the opposite arm of the strike. After you have done this, you can chop the side of your duifang's neck.

Remeber that video fragment from the movie 'Shadow Boxer'? In the demonstration in the beginning, by late GM Cheng Tinhung, this application is shown.

Kind regards,

Tomita
'Taijiquan is mainly a solo affair, but companionship along the way is to be treasured'

-J. Dunbarr, quoted by John Loupos-

ben hanawalt

Post by ben hanawalt » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:01 pm

Ooooo... im not sure if im visualizing it exactly as you said.. and I've haven't seen the movie (is it a movie you can get at hastings or some such?) but I will definately think about it more.. thanks =)

b
From the earth.. into the fire.. fanned with air.. quenched in water नमस्ते

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:01 am

Here's the fragment.

It must have come up on another forum, so I did a little search.

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=T ... earch_type =search_videos&search=Search

For some reason, I can't link to it directly... :oops:
'Taijiquan is mainly a solo affair, but companionship along the way is to be treasured'

Tomita

Post by Tomita » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:04 am

It's no longer up there, sorry.

Shadow boxer is a Hong Kong movie by the Shaw brothers, so you should be able to find it somewhere.

Good luck, and happy pondering!

Kind regards,

Tomita