beginning qi development

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Flyin' Brian
beginning qi development

Post by Flyin' Brian » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:13 pm

I have read descussions on this forum on what I would consider more advanced qi control and circulation issues. I, however, am a complete beginner and would like some guidance in developing and cultivating qi.

Is standing post the preferred method to develop fellings of qi? I have read a lot lately and there seems to be many methods to accomplish this goal so I am not sure which would be most suitable for me. If not, what recommended methods do other people on this list use?

If so, how many times a day, for how long, and what times of day are best?

When inhaling, should the stomach move in or move out?

When inhaling, should the mind move the qi into the dantien, or should this be done on the exhale?

Any preference for having the fingers of the opposite hands face each other to enclose a ball, or to be ponted out away from the body (as in the push in the michuan system)?

Thanks!

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:58 pm

As a beginner, I wouldn't focus on cultivating qi. I would focus on fang sung and mind intent. Everything else follows.

Flyin' Brian

beginning qi development

Post by Flyin' Brian » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:15 pm

I have been practicing taiji for years now and have been working on those (I can always improve, though!). I am now interested in bringing my understanding of the art to a new level and my current teacher doesn't really address qi development.

Are there any tips per my initial inquiry, or should I just keep on keepin' on and someday things will happen?

Roland Tepp

Post by Roland Tepp » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:54 pm

As iglazer pointed out, as a beginner, it is probably not the right time to concentrate your practice on cultivating Your qi.

That is not to say that there's nothing you can do to cultivate your chi. In fact You can do that while you do zhangzhuang.

In Michuan we stand so that our palms are facing ground (not holding an invisible ball nor facing forward), fingers reaching forward and wrists straight. Inhaling we bring qi to dantian.

But overall... just try to get hang of fangsung and proper body structure. Do your form with proper mind intent and don't worry too much about "advanced" stuff... unless you quit, You'll eventually get there...
Roland