Eight Techniques

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

TCosta
Eight Techniques

Post by TCosta » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:19 pm

In class, at GRTC, it was explained that each of the eight techniques has a corresponding trigram. In baguazhang, the martial artist studies the changes from one tragram to the other, philosophically (as well as physically, I imagine). Will it be of value for us to study the changes between the techniques, as flow from one movement to another is important? Will some techniques flow into others more easily, as they may be beside each other on the Pakua?

Thank you.

Tashi James

trigrams

Post by Tashi James » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:09 pm

This is a very interesting question!, In what context was this mentioned in class? I came across a similar principle when studying with Nam Wah Pai; We would draw on the principle of constant change and flow. As well as the cardinals etc, so it would be interesting to know how relevent the trigrams are so far as the philosophical conceptualisations attributed to each of the trigrams.

I feel that there is also a danger in over-mystifying in regard to this topic also!?
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

TCosta

Post by TCosta » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:33 am

I appreciate your word of caution, with regards to over-mystifying. The last thing I would want to do is suggest something is impractical.

Ultimately, my curiosity was piqued at the mention of the trigrams, because at one time I was interested in bagua (never pursued it). In class, four of the techniques were demonstrated (ward off, roll back, press and push). It was explained that each technique had a corresponding trigram. It made me wonder about the similarity between taiji and bagua. The trigrams are so prevalent in Chinese culture, however, that perhaps no connection was intended.

The possible extent of the connection/correlation is my question. Your additional questions with regards to the pakua and physical direction are very interesting, as well.

Hopefully, someone will pass by, soon, who knows more. Thanks for your interest.