tuishou exercise

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Tashi James
tuishou exercise

Post by Tashi James » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:28 pm

During first tuishou exercise, I am noticing a "bouncy" though not "jerky" feeling as I come back toward the easy side. Is this normal? I am making sure that my movement into the hard side is not "dancing/leaning" and that C-1 is in line with K-1 and {GV-20?} as best I can. Does this sound correct?
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:40 am

It's a little tricky to answer this without seeing, or better yet, feeling what you are doing, but it sounds like there is a bit of hardness some where in your structure (most lkely the lower back) that is causing this bump. You should sink smoothly into your legs.

It doesn't hurt to do the exercises very slow, especially at first.

Tashi James

tuishou

Post by Tashi James » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:01 am

:D Will get back to you, structure is difficult to work out by self, sometimes it feels "nailed" yet is not.

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).

Tashi James

tuishou basic exercises

Post by Tashi James » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:08 am

When Laoshi taught us the tuishou exercises he stated they could be done slowly. Is it advisable to also do them "fast" so as to develop danxing {springiness} not sure of spelling. As in the form, if done slowly there is a slight pause between xi (inhale) and hu (exhale) in movement.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: tuishou basic exercises

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:02 pm

Just back from Brisbane...

Tashi James wrote:... the tuishou exercises he stated they could be done slowly. Is it advisable to also do them "fast"... to develop... {springiness}...

Yes, the tuishou exercises should be practiced both at slow speed to develop proper body mechanics as well as a strong root & faster (up to full speed) to get a good sense of flow & develop the spring, or fajin from the legs.

Tashi James wrote: As in the form, if done slowly there is a slight pause between xi (inhale) and hu (exhale) in movement.

There should be no pause between the xi (inhale) and hu (exhale) in either the tuishou exercises or the form, or any other exercise in taijiquan. Remember, there is no such thing as yin & yang, there is only yinyang. Likewise, we do not hua (deflect) & then da (hit), it is huada. Take it as one word, one action, without a seam or break, deflecthit.

Tashi James

thankyou

Post by Tashi James » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:55 pm

Thanks Laoshi,

I hope you had an easy flight, and thank you for yet again sharing your expertise with us.

It seems a lot more difficult to cultivate the "fajin" at slow pace though something that will come in time I guess.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: thankyou

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:10 am

No worries...

Tashi James wrote:...more difficult to cultivate the "fajin" at slow pace...

:arrow: No need to rush the development of your fajin, in fact, if you work at it too hard, you'll probably only hold yourself back by forcing it using muscle. Work on letting the tension out of your body (fangsong) & becoming softer thru proper body alignment & the fajin will develop naturally.

Tashi James

okay

Post by Tashi James » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:06 am

I thought as much, Sheila and I were having a conversation about this last weekend.