Awsome!

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

XeroWolf
Awsome!

Post by XeroWolf » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:17 pm

Hey Everyone! Thanks for letting me join. Lately, I have been very interested in chinese history. Especialy chinese swordsmanship. I have been searching forums to find people interested in chinese history as well, but they all were, hmm how to say, movie go'ers?

So, I hope you all don't mind me asking bunches of questions or opening topics for debate. I really am quite new to this after all D:. Also, I am not located near any Taoist schools, well, at least to my knowledge.

Heh, my first question is, for those of you who have read some of the recommended reading books on the main website page. Which should I start reading first? They all look very interesting, I was thinking Scott's Chinese Swordsmanship, since the intro states it clears up a lot of misconceptions and I probably have a lot of those.

Anyways, I'll be quite active. Thanks again for letting me be apart of yall's discussion.
"Don't go out there being a hero and die for your country! Go out there and make those bastards die for theirs!"(Patton)

"Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning."(The D. Fox)

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Read The Classics first...

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:21 am

Read the Classic first, they are the basis of everything. Beginners usually find T. T. Liang's translations in: T'ai Chi Ch'uan For Health and Self-Defense, Philosophy and Practice the most accessible at first. However, there is no prefect translation of the Classics, so read different versions; Barbara Davis and Chen Weiming's The Taijiquan Classics: An Annotated Translation is also an excellent translation & has a very good history of taijiquan compared with the usual mythology.

You may also find my book, Taiji Notebook for Martial Artists, Essays by a Yang Family Taijiquan Practitioner of use.In it I explain many of the basic concepts of this art.

XeroWolf

Post by XeroWolf » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:00 pm

Oh, excellent. Thanks a lot. I'll get those right away. By the way, I'm also wanting to learn taijiquan. However for the next 4 years, I'll be stationed in Japan or Korea. I don't suppose, in your travels, you have found any recommended taijiquan or mi chuan schools in those parts? If not, I would be willing to move to a site that would have one. Any other school recommondations?
"Don't go out there being a hero and die for your country! Go out there and make those bastards die for theirs!"(Patton)

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:35 pm

XeroWolf wrote:...to learn taijiquan... in Japan...

see: http://www.geocities.jp/izk341/youkahidenhome.htm

XeroWolf

Post by XeroWolf » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:56 pm

Alrighty, trying to make out the kanji... .

.. ok, translator time.

Oh btw, if anyone wants a good online free translator, check this out: http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_s ... lator.html. Works great, I use it all the time.

Anyways, thanks again. Hoping this is similar to your schools. Though, I suppose I should keep my mind open to other types as well. Even Wushu.