some thougts about training methods

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

tjqinterest
some thougts about training methods

Post by tjqinterest » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:26 am

Hallo

I`ve found some quite interesting links in the internet. It is not about taijiquan, but generally about martial arts training methods and philosophy.

http://www.martialartsplanet.ca/images/aliveness.wmv

http://aliveness101.blogspot.com/2005/0 ... eness.html

G-Man

Post by G-Man » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:09 pm

Tjqinterest's links bring up a very good point, and I certainly agree that "aliveness" in training is essential to making good progress. In our method of sanshou training, a new technique is first practiced at a relatively slow speed and with little power so that the players can get a sense of the fundamentals of the movement (it's timing, energy, etc.). Then power, speed, and "uncooperativeness" in the duifang are incrementally added until the technique can be executed in a full speed, full power sparring environment, with only those safeguards required to prevent serious injury (gloves and open-faced headgear). The orientation of our sanshou class is definitely towards practical application on the street, not just in the idealized environment of two friendly practice partners.

I know from my own experience that sanshou practiced faithfully in this manner can be both a wake-up call and a powerful focus for one's entire practice. Having seen my mistakes laid before me in sanshou (sometimes laced with a little pain for added incentive :)), my form and tuishou practice are taking on a direction and intensity they would otherwise not have. When practicing the form, my duifang has a greater sense of reality because I know that if I don't apply a technique just so and affect the duifang just so, I won't get the intended effect and my duifang can continue to be "uncooperative." Similarly, in tuishou I am more intent on maintaining a principled body-mind state while applying the techiques of yielding, neutralizing, and fajin; I now know that if I can't maintain that state in the relative ease of tuishou, I have no chance of holding onto it in sanshou.

josh stout

Post by josh stout » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:47 am

This topic is touching on what draws me so strongly to the martial arts. I love the art portion of martial arts, but Art in general has a problem these days because anyone can say that they are an artist, and anything can be said to be art. This is also true for spiritual practices where people claim all sorts of approaches as valid, even if they just made them up. In martial arts there is always an empirical aspect that cannot be found in other forms of art or spirituality. Mind intent makes my moves more beautiful so the art is better, but it also makes the moves more effective in a demonstrable way. Meditation leads to a better understanding of oneself and ones environment, but it also helps in tuishu. I think the art and spirituality are higher goals than the martial applications, but it is the martial applications that keep us honest.

Josh
hidup itu silat, silat itu hidup

-Suhu

Benny Bangarms

Post by Benny Bangarms » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:20 pm

josh stout wrote:... I think the art and spirituality are higher goals than the martial applications, but it is the martial applications that keep us honest.

Josh

that's a great way to put it. i wasn't interested in learning a martial art when i began training at GRTC. i'm not sure i even realized that taiji was a martial art, i was just after the civil benefits. but i've come to see the value of putting my understanding of taiji to the test in sanshou. even if my primary goal is still the more "mystical" side of taiji, sanshou requires that the lessons are learned in my bones and my spirit, not just intellectually.