taiji in Montana

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

ben
taiji in Montana

Post by ben » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:24 pm

Perhaps a strange post on board, based so far away. but having talked with Scott Rodell.. and having read his books. I have found this board an invaluable source of knowledge. and I have a huge respect for what is being accomplished.

My regret then, is that I live so far away. I love where I live for many reasons, but I have not yet found a teacher.. to help me progress beyond the form...into true application..and internal work.

so.. I just wanted to say thanks.. it is great to know of other people who care about it, as much as I do.
Http://www.CellarDoorForge.com

From the earth...into the fire...fanned with air...quenched with water... .. .

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:25 am

The world has changed a lot since Yang Luchan's day. While I am very much a die hard traditionalist when it comes to taijiquan, I'm not dogmatic. I've been pleasantly surprised at what some people have been able to achieve by attending intensive seminar trainings & then using video to check details of form work. I'm not suggesting that student should trade a good teacher for a new DVD player, but if your screen is big enough & you are a careful observer, following along with a video is not much different from following in class. Obviously, there are things you will ONLY be able to learn, body to body, in person with an accomplished teacher, but we do live in the 21st century & we can make smart use of technology. In short, you might feel isolated, but if you are willing to travel once or twice a year, you could reach just as high a level as students who live in the same town as their teacher.

In fact, I noticed that my more skilled classmates are those that went to China to study with Master Wang for a short time & returned home. They are generally more skilled than those who moved to Taipei. That seems odd at first, but when you go for a few months, or even weeks, you have no choice but to work hard & get it today, because when in a few days, you're off home. Those who moved there seem to have the attitude that, if they don't get it today, there is always tomorrow. They skipped days training when the weather was bad, etc.., & tomorrow never comes, its always a day off.

This is all just a very long way of saying, work you ass off, be determined, & no obstacle can stand in you way. When anyone complains to me about how its hard to get to class, I tell them, "When I want to see my teacher, I have to get on a plane."

ben

Post by ben » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:51 am

Thank you.. your words are very encouraging.. Perhaps I am too worried of developing bad habits, if I am not practicing perfectly. I do wonder that if I do listen close enough, that I will be able to 'feel' my movements and postures becoming more correct.. or if that is my body simply trying to get comfortable.. like slouching in a chair. The more I practice, the more I realize the subtlety in every movement.

and have been told before to stay out of my mind.. and that books are unhelpful. but I really feel, and perhaps this is only me and the way that I learn, that the more I have read...different manuals on taiji .. even as far as the history.. and books of daoist philosophy.. the more I understand the intention of taiji.. and the better I am able to flow with that.

At some point, I really hope to see taiji in use as a martial art, as i think that would expand my perspective quite a lot. Sometimes I feel that practicing with no real idea (besides a few pictures) of what is possible, is very limiting.

So thank you again, Mr Rodell.

ben
Http://www.CellarDoorForge.com

From the earth...into the fire...fanned with air...quenched with water... .. .

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:57 pm

ben wrote:... I am too worried of developing bad habits, if I am not practicing perfectly...

I've often heard beginners say this, but as a beginner, you can not help but make mistakes. Making mistakes is part of the process of learning. I'm only concerned when student don't know they are making a mistake. So just keep praciting as best you can & go to your teacher for corrections.

At the door of the Washington Center hangs calligraphy by Master Wang that reads:

"In all things Preserverance reaches the highest level."

ben hanawalt

Post by ben hanawalt » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:02 pm

Imagine the suprise I felt, when I opened an email the other week, and found out that Scott Rodell had a new location. Bozeman, MT.. "wait a minute" I thought " I know that place...." actually I live there.

Since that date. I have met the people who will be hosting it,(Thanks to Laoshi's newsletter.), and of course immediately volunteered. I have started to study Mi Chuan, and Shiau Jiao, which is very exciting. I am very happy to finally have people to practice and learn with! Who love swords just as much as I do!

So thanks again. To Scott and everyone else on the board. It proves to me, a kid from small town montana, that anything is possible. =) woo hoo!

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:38 pm

Checking in from Huang Shan, China...

ben hanawalt wrote:...It proves to me, a kid from small town montana, that anything is possible. =) woo hoo!

Every person who ever achieved true mastery started as a nobody who knew nothing.

There's no reason why anyone today willing to do the work, & who has the correct teaching, can not reach as high a level as any master of old... My teacher, Master Wang Yen-nien told me that he was named Yen-nien (literally Endless Years) because he was a sickly child who when his parent took him to a fortune teller he predicted he would die young. He had little to eat as a child , lived thru two terrible wars & had to flee to Taiwan. Yet he reached a very high level. How much easier should it be for us with a secure life?