Peng jing vs. the haymaker

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Dante
Peng jing vs. the haymaker

Post by Dante » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:40 am

The haymaker can be an intimidating and devastating attack. But even a beginner such as myself can neutralize this attack with a simple peng.

It's a natural human response to flinch when attacked. We can't train this response out of our being in a week or a month. But with a small change in intent and a basic understanding of structure and alignment, we can bring a haymaker wielding attacker to his knees.

When the strike is coming to the head area, raise the arm, keeping the shoulder and elbow down (as much as possible), keep your palm facing you so the attack hits the outside of your forearm. Keep your arm approx. 30-45 degrees between shoulder and nipple.

That's the basic structure. The change in intent is needed, because we have to extend outward with the peng, and we have to have a solid root. This can be a challenge because if we are caught off guard our natural response is to recoil or duck. We need to extend almost as if we are attacking the forearm. You have to practice this in a static format to build up the confidence that it will work. I've had people half my size drop me to my knees when I threw the haymaker full power. Actually the harder I try to hit; the more it hurts me.

This is not the peng jing that we strive for in our practice, but this is the peng that a beginner can use almost from day one.

Questions, thoughts or observations? What are the qualities of peng as the practicioner refines her use of this energy?

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:21 pm

We need to extend almost as if we are attacking the forearm.

That's the tricky bit in my mind. I feel there is a danger in making the peng too pointy, as if you where striking with the elbow. It's not until 2nd section in the MiChuan that I felt like I really saw a rounded peng that could intercept a haymaker.

Dante

Post by Dante » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:17 pm

"too pointy" - Try it this way. Do peng the way you would in your form. Stop right before you begin the next movement. Rotate the forearm of peng up to just short of 90 degrees. Don't move the upper arm - just let the bone rotate. That's close to where you need to use it. Have someone hit you, and you adjust it to find where it's strongest with you feeling the least amount of tension. The same corrections you make for a beginner in their form are the same corrections you make for them in this position. Getting swung on gives you instant feedback.

"not until 2nd section in MiChuan" - How long was that - four maybe five years? You're saying what I said before. We can't overcome our natural response in a week or a month, so why not work from what we bring to the training from day one? A static position holding a peng is not our ideal. It's effective within a certain context, and it builds on our natural motions and requires little time to make it functional. From there we CONTINUE to work towards the ideal of softness, springyness, disrupting the root, moving in along the line of attack, circulurizing, etc.

Do any of you out there feel you could use you Taijiquan skills to defend yourself against a bigger, stronger and meaner attacker who jumps you without warning?

iglazer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by iglazer » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:59 pm

"not until 2nd section in MiChuan" - How long was that - four maybe five years? You're saying what I said before. We can't overcome our natural response in a week or a month, so why not work from what we bring to the training from day one? A static position holding a peng is not our ideal. It's effective within a certain context, and it builds on our natural motions and requires little time to make it functional. From there we CONTINUE to work towards the ideal of softness, springyness, disrupting the root, moving in along the line of attack, circulurizing, etc.

Either we are in violent agreement or somehow we've crossed wires here. My point is that the rounded peng used to intercept a haymaker doesn't appear in the public form nor 1st section. Am I mistaken here? Cheng's form is quite squared off and (I believe) doesn't really show a peng against a haymaker. Possibly Bend Bow Shoot Tiger, but I am not convinced of that.

1st section is a bit rounder and really helped me to feel the fullness of peng.

I totally agree with you about working with what we got from day one. There is no point in practicing thinking you can't do anything until 4 or 5 years into your practice.

Dante

Post by Dante » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:44 am

We did get our wires crossed. I was looking at this senario from the other side.

I found that when I raised the intensity and varied the angles and types of attacks, that I wasn't doing anything like good taijiquan. but I wasn't getting pummeled either, so I tried to figure out how what I was doing was like taijiquan and how I could refine it to be more like good taiji in form and principle. I agree with you that we should always refer back to the form. The form along with the other drills, etc. is how we get the principles into our bodies. The form is also a finite set which represents infinite variations. We have to take it out of the box and test it to see if we are getting the principles in us. This testing doesn't have to be done with intense fighting senarios. It just has to be done in accordance with your goals for studying the art. Part of the goal is to really know what I think I know.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

TT Liang Application of Fair Lady Works Her Shuttles Movemen

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:29 am

In reference to using peng jin in response to a hook or round house haymaker see: Master Liang demonstrating the application of Fair Lady with his disciple, Paul Abdella at:

http://www.tctaichi.com/photos/liang_16.htm

I've found this movement to be quite effective in sanshou. The important point is to make sure you are moving in as your peng arm joins your duifang's arm & that your peng is not static, but moving thru his arm. Remeber your Yang Family transmissions, "Peng is like water holding up a moving boat." In this way you will move your duifang back on his heels, taking him off balance for a moment, just as your palm strike hits.

(Sorry I haven't been on more lately, been very busy putting the finishing touches to the Second Edition of Chinese Swordsmanship, be back soon...)