Embrace Tiger Return to Mountain

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Mark M.
Embrace Tiger Return to Mountain

Post by Mark M. » Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:47 pm

In Wu Meng-Hsia's "9 secret transmissions of T'ai Chi Ch'uan" from Touchstones (secrets he got from his teacher who received it directly from Pan-Hou), there is a part that says:

Embrace Tiger, Return to Mountain demonstrates pull down and split.

I can see the first movement from cross hands going into Embrace Tiger as a pull down, is this the meaning? I have always viewed the finish of embrace Tiger as a hand strike much like brush knee hand strike. Could this be a split? At first I could not recall any splits that did not occur while 100% on the rear leg, but then I remembered the transitional split between separate left and right.

Peace.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Embrace Tiger Return to Mountain

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:13 am

Mark M. wrote:...Embrace Tiger, Return to Mountain...split...

The spliting action is created when one catches the duifang's leg with the right hand & scoops it up, lifting & pulling it to the right just as the left palm strikes the duifang's chest knocking him back in the opposite direction. If timed properly, this results in the sheering action that is lie (spliting).

Tashi James

?

Post by Tashi James » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:30 pm

Which leg is th duifung kicking with?

Moreso are we "scooping" from the inside or outside of the centreline of the duifung?

Is this mainly suited to kicks with a forward momentum as opposed to a crescent or roundhouse kick, ie kick to temple, floating rib, knee as is common to some external styles such as muay thai?
"There is nothing that does not become easier through familiarity" (Santideva).

"We become what we do repeatedly. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit" (Aristotle).