soft softer tuishou

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

ynze
soft softer tuishou

Post by ynze » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Off late I'm struggling with a shoulder injury. That means I have to take it easy. I abandoned all my weapons training and only do hand form and tuishou.
It is in a way a blessing in disguise. While doing all the weapons work, I was neglecting my tai chi principles. Now I have time and even more the focus to go deeper.
I also need to change my tuishou. Previous I relied on my strength now I can't. Now I really have to deflect a thousand pounds with 4 ounces. I really have to invest in loss here.

But here's my problem. As laoshi said: when playing tuishou do not moan when somebody plays to hard etc. You have to deal with it. I agree.
But what if you do the exercises.
E.g. single hand fixed step fixed pattern. If my duifang is hard and uses relatively much force directed to my center I find it almost
impossible to cope with it under the restriction of the drill.
Does anyone have the same experience? Is it me? Should I be able to cope with it within the restrictions of the exercise?
What do you think. What is your experience?

Roland Tepp

Re: soft softer tuishou

Post by Roland Tepp » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:08 am

Hey Ynze,

First let me wish you a quick recovery. Shoulder injuries are nasty stuff -- the aftereffects tend do stay for a long time.

What You described about your experience, is quite common.
The way I see this is that while you certainly have decided to be softer in your mind, your body has still retained all of it's bad habits from the time you were stronger and could deal with little deficiencies.

This is quite normal - you are learning a new way of doing things and while learning you are bound to fail a lot. I think this is what Chen Manching meant when he was saying "Invest in loss".
That when you learn something that your body isn't accustomed to, you will be making mistakes and those mistakes will often feel like you are doing everything wrong. And you most likely are.
The trick isn't in reverting back to the old and comfortable way of using strength to compensate for the mistakes, but to accept those mistakes and learn from them and apply the knowledge.

Take this experience as an opportunity to be taught where you are being too hard in your body or unyielding or simply plain late in dealing with the threats offered by your duifang.
Use this experience to learn and ultimately correct yourself. If you do that, your skill sill level will most definitely be raised by the experience.
Roland

ynze

Re: soft softer tuishou

Post by ynze » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:21 pm

Thanx for your kind wishes Roland.
It is very very very hard to do. Being soft and letting go. My ego is much bigger then I want to admit. Especcialy when I play with classmates I could beat before. And know suddenly 99 out of a 100 I'm on the loosing site. That is to say: actually indeed I'm winning as you pointed out. But really truelly investing in loss it's the hardest thing to do.