Taiji toes

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Bede Bidlack
Taiji toes

Post by Bede Bidlack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:58 pm

For years the unofficial GRTC training shoe was the Reebok classic (black, of course).

The newest thing in athletic shoes is the "barefoot shoe" http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-ge ... shoes.html
which might actually work pretty well for taiji training since is does not interfere with Earth the way your typical running shoe does. Has anyone tried this shoe for taiji quan and is it any good?

Michael

Re: Taiji toes

Post by Michael » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:49 pm

It's worth considering that sometimes the footwork in a martial art is optimized for a certain type of footwear. Modern footwear often has substantial heels, which can interfere with the footwork in certain martial arts. By the same token, you may run into the occasional problem wearing strange footwear like Vibram's FiveFingers. It may be more like going barefoot, but footwork is not always designed with bare feet in mind.
Antitheses: A blog for martial artists in search of a good conversation.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:40 am

I tried a few things and settled on skateboarding shoes for most training. Reasons: Flat soles for stability. Good support for feet. Smooth soles to prevent twisting ankles during pivots. Training on concrete has disastrous consequences for my ankles (bones slipping out of place) and knees (torn cartilege) no matter what shoes are on the feet. Training on carpet twists ankles and wrenches knees because of the resistance, even in bare feet. So whatever other reasons people might have for buying shoes, safety and health are probably the most important considerations. You have to choose according to your own body and perhaps alter movements slightly if training on carpet (more spring and less floor connection in a pivot).

I've often wondered about the earth thing. How is that relevant if you are training 3 floors up in the Washington school, or even 2 metres up with floorboards then a large space of air above the earth, as in my living room? I've always wanted to ask that question.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:31 am

Michael wrote:It's worth considering that sometimes the footwork in a martial art is optimized for a certain type of footwear. Modern footwear often has substantial heels...
I think that is the most important point, I've never worn any kind of heels, so when, in the past, I've tried doing push hands in athletic shoes with even a slightly raised heel, I feel like I am going to loose my balance forward. And I have to agree, that while many of practice barefoot today, Chinese martial arts (having come from military arts) are designed to be executed in boots.