Feng Shui discussion

A general Q & A forum

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Psi Man
Feng Shui discussion

Post by Psi Man » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Hey folks,

I recall Laoshi has mentioned in passing that the late Master Wang was rather knowledgeable in feng shui. How common was this kind of knowledge among people of his cultural milieu? Would he have picked this up casually or as a disciple of someone? Does anybody here have much experience with feng shui? Is it still transmitted by teachers, akin to schools of Eastern medicine or Taijiquan, and has it been reliably transmitted to the west?

Thanks,
S

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Feng Shui discussion

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 am

Psi Man wrote:... the late Master Wang was rather knowledgeable in feng shui.
That is true. Wang Laoshi learned fengshui from a daoist classmate of his who rented the shop below his apartment. He told me he would have tea with his daoist brother & discuss the art with him.
Psi Man wrote:... How common was this kind of knowledge among people of his cultural milieu? Would he have picked this up casually or as a disciple of someone? Does anybody here have much experience with feng shui? Is it still transmitted by teachers, akin to schools of Eastern medicine or Taijiquan, and has it been reliably transmitted...
In the previous era, before the entire world shifted to the American model of work & life, i.e. "40 hour" work week, etc. people lived more closely together in many ways. Wang Laoshi, though a high officer in the army of the ruling war lord of Shanxi province, was able to study taijiquan 6 hours a day with his teacher. When you spend that kind of time in class & with your classmates, lots of other knowledge is transmitted (much of it informally). The pace of life was such that people had time to sit & discuss things & share knowledge. The scale was also such that everyone was in the neighborhood. Now a days, my students homes are separated by hour long car rides, not short walks. The result is that because we learn the arts, not at the teachers home, but in centralized class rooms, there is little to no sharing between classmates.

Psi Man

Re: Feng Shui discussion

Post by Psi Man » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks for answering, Laoshi; always curious to hear more about Master Weng and his life and background.