Qing - Ming Dinasty sword

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Hector
Qing - Ming Dinasty sword

Post by Hector » Mon May 24, 2010 12:02 pm

Hello,
Several months ago I found a sword in Beijing city. Then I was not sure to buy, but now the seller has accepted a lower price: 2000 euros, currently 1600 USD. It looks like a Qing sword (I think early Qing) The handle and the scarbag are re-made, but the blade is real. The quality is incredibly good, its iron is harder than any other sword I have ever seen. What do you think about the price? Is it normal? just expensive, but also reasonable? or it is so expensive? I have uploaded some photos. Please, I need your advices.

Thanks
Hector.
Attachments
6.jpg
6.jpg (29.55KiB)Viewed 15795 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (29.12KiB)Viewed 15795 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (30.33KiB)Viewed 15795 times

Nik

Re: Qing - Ming Dinasty sword

Post by Nik » Mon May 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Can't say from the photos, does it consist of pattern welded steel laminations ? I am a bit uneasy about todays quality of making fakes.

It should be possible to say if the steel is modern made by a chemical analysis, but I don't know the costs of this. An easier thing is according to the thread here talking about signs of true antiques the way the patina has grown. False patina was made grow quickly using acids, real one has different characteristics. But you probably would have to unmount the handle to see the tang.

A simple first check would be on the weight and balance. The saber I have, whose blade looks close to this one, is much too heavy compared with originals. 1130g on a military liuyedao of <70cm blade length = repro, the weight should afaik be around the 700-800g mark. Huanuos remakes have 770-850g.

At this price, I would negotiate having the saber shipped to an expert, at your expenses. Say, Philip Tom, so you can have it restored by him immediately if he says it's ok.

Hector

Post by Hector » Mon May 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks Nik for your answer,

I need just a rough appraisal. The blade is not a fake, it is sure. It is also sure that it has a good iron. So for a real Qing blade is 2000 EU -1600 USD- a normal price??

Thanks,
Hector

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 am

2000 Euro is 2247 USD. I recently had my Qing jian valued because I thought I might have to sell it. Three knowledgeable people valued it for me at an average of $2400 USD. Remember that mine has been carefully restored by Philip Thom and is an excellent example. Mine does not have an original scabbard.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

Nik

Post by Nik » Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 am

You mean 1600 euro / 2000 US dollar ? The euro is worth more than the dollar, even after the hefty fall. Yesterday, 1 Euro was 1,22 Dollar.

The condition of your sword seems to be before any restoration / polishing. Don't know what Philip Tom charges, but given Linda's own dao value, your price looks like an average market price. Not a bargain, but maybe not totally overpriced. But that depends on the dao really being no fake. I happen to know a renowned "museum replica" maker who is responsible for like half of the "recently found museum pieces", really being exhibited in museums as original. Not going into detail how he does that.

Hector

Post by Hector » Tue May 25, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks Nik and Linda. Im sorry, I did a mistake when calculated how many dollars. I mean 2000 euro, 2400 dollar, 16800 yuan. Now I realize that it is not a bargain, but that man is also not cheating me. It is what I wanted to know.

As Nik sais, this dao needs a restoration. So Linda, could you tell me please how much it took to restore your sword?

Thanks,
Hector.

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed May 26, 2010 3:24 am

That was quite a few years ago, so even if I could remember, it would be wrong for today. I suggest you ask Philip Tom for a quote. There seriously isn't anyone who can do a better job. I was very happy with the result on my sword and still am. That said, it had some great blade qualities in the basic material. You can only bring out and enhance what is actually there. There is a picture of my blade on this page http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com/arm ... rmour.html
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com