2010 TCSL Beginners' Tournament Prize Jian

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin
2010 TCSL Beginners' Tournament Prize Jian

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:36 am

Things are beginning to get rolling for this year's
Traditional Chinese Sword League Tournaments.
The first event of the year is a Beginners Tournament, April 3rd in Bladensburg, MD.

The rules of play for Beginners are the same as those for the open tournaments with the exception that they are not held on a raised platform.

All contestants must be TCSL Members.

Beginners are practitioners with 2 years or less experience.

For rules, membership application, & other information, please see-
http://www.swordleague.com/
Attachments
2010_TCSL_Beginners_Prize-S.jpg
2010_TCSL_Beginners_Prize-S.jpg (126.64KiB)Viewed 22783 times

Linda Heenan

Re: 2010 TCSL Beginners' Tournament Prize Jian

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Laoshi, does their emptyhand training count as part of the two years? Our kids start with sword so by the time any of them get old enough to be in that competition they have more than two years experience. Or can we substitute the years of emptyhand training with our early sword training? It's how the Aussies learn their principles. I have a 10 year old with 4 years experience in sword but he wouldn't be able to go up against an adult now, or even in another 4 years. He certainly couldn't have done it at 8 years of age. Does the 2 years or less start after they turn 18 and are no longer children?
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:32 am

Linda Heenan wrote:... does their emptyhand training count as part of the two years? ...
No, only time training in sword counts, after all, many of us have encountered experience martial artists, who cold play a good game of sanshou but were lost in swordplay.

BTW, the Registration Deadline is March 22. Applications will only be accepted from TCSL members.

Flyin' Brian

Post by Flyin' Brian » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Has the schedule for the beginner tournament been finalized yet?

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:40 am

Flyin' Brian wrote:.. schedule for the beginner tournament been finalized...
Yes, we start at 2 PM SHARP. We'll be on a tight schedule. COntestants should be ready to play at 2, not getting their gambesons on at 2. There will be a weapons/equipment inspection & pool bouts will start. There are 9 contestant registered, so we will be busy.

Between some pool matches there will be short demos, see you there...

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

BLack Matt 2010 TCSL Beginners' Tournament Champion

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:30 am

Congratulation to DC's own "Black Matt" Rosecan, the first TCSL Beginner's Tournament Champion!

It was a great afternoon of exciting play. Of course the beginners made lots of beginner mistakes, but everyone played with vigor & had a good time. There was action that we don't usually see with more experience players, such as getting in so close that the contestants ended up grabbling & going to the ground, or delivering a knee to the mid-section. And if I were to pick one mistake that should be eliminated right away, it is ducking & taking a blow on the back of the head or neck! But, all in all, I am certain it was a very educational experience fro everyone.

Some things that were similar to past TCSL Tournaments was that few match went the time limit, in fact we had only 2 pool matches went the full 2 minutes allowed. Also like other tournament, there were also matches that were over very quickly, one DE match went just 6 seconds when one contestant rushed forward right into a two-handed duo cut to his head from the other player.

I for one am looking forward to the next Tournament; speaking of which, I guess it is time we start thinking about the open National Tournament for the Autumn...

Matt Receiving his prize-
Attachments
2010 Beginner Sword Tournament-MattR.jpg
2010 Beginner Sword Tournament-MattR.jpg (182.44KiB)Viewed 22518 times

Linda Heenan

Post by Linda Heenan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:10 pm

Congratulations to Matt. Also, well done, all the others who participated. There can only be one winner but everyone who enters learns a lot for themself and advances Chinese swordsmanship for the world.

The Competitors & Judges...
Attachments
2010BeginnerSword Tournament-Judges & Cometitors.jpg
2010BeginnerSword Tournament-Judges & Cometitors.jpg (235.9KiB)Viewed 22518 times
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

black matt

Post by black matt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:07 am

Thanks Laoshi, and Linda- having lost in my only other martial arts tournament (an empty hand san shou tournament last year, and going out in my first and only match in under 3 minutes), it definitely feels better to win a tournament, and to participate in the TCSL.
It was awesome to meet and play with the guys from New Jersey and Montana- Matt, Victor, Brad, and their classmates and teachers. After the tournament I talked to my classmates and teacher about a group of us going to NJ and Montana- hopefully, that can happen in the not too distant future.

One of the biggest challenges for me in the tournament was using what I had practiced. A tournament is so different from practice, even full speed free play practice. First, there are nerves- minimizing them and not letting them get out of control was my main goal- they will be there, regardless. I just tried not to let my imagination run away with them. When they became bad, I took deep breaths and just tried to focus on very basic things, which I also tried to do in general. In the moments just before play, I told myself one or two things that I wanted to focus on. This had it's advantages and disadvantages. Focusing on something like 'just moving my feet and getting out of the way the other guys, or girl's, sword' sounds unbelievably obvious, but I felt like I had to tell myself to do very obvious things in order for them to work. The disadvantage to focusing on one or two things was going overboard to the point of losing fluidity, relaxation, and the ability to change what I was doing. It's almost like tunnel vision sets in, and I felt like I had to focus on the one or two things that were working. Mental and physical stamina also played a huge part in my ability to do basic things, and to make changes. The mental part is definitely the trickiest. Aside from just getting mentally and emotionally tired, all the negative or positive thoughts seem to be magnified, not just during or on the day of the tournament, but in the weeks leading up to it. As with nerves, I feel like not letting the negative thoughts take root or get out of control, and just working through them, was the best way to deal with them...

Aside from the experience of doing and getting through the tournament, the training beforehand is huge in terms of improving skill. Having a tournament as a goal can really help add intensity to practice. Although I don't feel like doing any really focused training for a few days(!), I'm looking forward to using the experience for my future practice.

-Matt

Matt R. vs. Simon C. at the Tournament (photo added by MOD).
Attachments
2010BeginnerSword Tournament-CohenVRosecan.jpg
2010BeginnerSword Tournament-CohenVRosecan.jpg (178.08KiB)Viewed 22518 times

Graham Cave

Post by Graham Cave » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Well done Matt, Many Congratulations!

TCosta

Post by TCosta » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:23 pm

I whole-heartedly agree with at least two of the statements above:

1) Ducking has got to be eliminated straight away.
2) After such a concentrated effort, a few days of ease are necessary.

It was a good effort from everyone, and I enjoyed it. It was a good measure of how our abilities would be affected under pressure and how we would respond to surprises. Congratulations, Matt!!

-Trevor

Simon C., in blue vs. Victor H. in orange (photo added by MOD).
Attachments
2010 TCSL Beginner Sword Tournament-SimonvVictor.jpg
2010 TCSL Beginner Sword Tournament-SimonvVictor.jpg (142.27KiB)Viewed 22518 times

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BLack Matt 2010 TCSL Beginners' Tournament Champion

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:03 am

Scott M. Rodell wrote:... Of course the beginners made lots of beginner mistakes... There was action that we don't usually see with more experience players, such as getting in so close that the contestants ended up grabbling & going to the ground..
It makes a lot more sense to use your weapon to deliver a deadly blow than to close & wrestle...

In this case, the player in the Bordered Yellow armor charged in with a downward cut. That cut was deflected by the swordsman in Red & he was circling his jian around vertically for a pi cut to the head, but by then the player in Bordered Yellow was already on top of him & they crashed to the ground. The man in Red should have used his free hand to block his duifang out &/or also stepped back as he was cutting down to keep enough doistance for the counter-cut...
Attachments
TCSLtournament4-10.jpg
TCSLtournament4-10.jpg (571.07KiB)Viewed 22533 times

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Date Set for 2010 Open TCSL Tournament

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:03 am

The League just settled the date for the Fall National Open Full Contact Swordplay Tournament...

this year the Traditional Chinese Sword League will host the Tournament as part of the ICMAC's National Tournament in Washington, DC (see: http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/dc/index.htm) on afternoon of Saturday, October 2. TCSL membership is required to compete, please see: http://www.swordleague.com/