Sword sparring clip

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

stampe
Sword sparring clip

Post by stampe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 am

Train Hard, Stay soft, and Relax

Linda Heenan

Re: Sword sparring clip

Post by Linda Heenan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:10 pm

You can move faster with shinai, especially light ones like that. After our last youth tournament, we decided the older boys definitely had to use heavy shinai in the competition because the speed was unrealistic. They train with wooden jian in our practise sessions but we had to use shinai in the comp because the boys would have hurt the girls too much.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

Roland Tepp

Post by Roland Tepp » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:06 am

stampe wrote:thought this was interesting
It was interestng indeed.

One thing that I noticed though (and I am definitely aware that, it seems all so much easier when you stand outside of the ring), was that there was rarely if any follow-up moves in the fight. Lot of jumping around as well...

All in all - I would love to spar one day with these guys :)
Roland

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Linda Heenan wrote:You can move faster with shinai, especially light ones like that...
That is certainly true, & that makes the play unrealistic in the sense of Historical Swordsmanship, but I was happy to see that these students used some good skills/techniques. Usually, actually almost always, such light weapons lead to very poor quality play. Hopefully we'll see some of them at a TCSL tournament* some time in the near future.

*http://www.swordleague.com/