Defense & Attack: Jian Vs. Katana

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

bond_fan
Defense & Attack: Jian Vs. Katana

Post by bond_fan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:58 pm

I was wondering what type of block and attack practitioners of jian or dao would use again these style cuts?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi1K7B7Wrj8

Thanks!

Linda Heenan

Re: Defense & Attack: Jian Vs. Katana

Post by Linda Heenan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:03 pm

I can give a few answers for the first few cuts - two handed diagonal downward cuts. I didn't watch the whole video.

Jian:
Firstly, we wouldn't block. There are no blocks in jian swordsmanship, only deflections that continue into a cut after the opposite's sword is out of threat range. We would use turning of the torso and stepping to void such a powerful strike. Then, when the blade was out of the way, we might step in and use emptyhand to prevent further strikes, or use our sword from the new position to cut to the top of the arm while the katana is low. Since this is a clearly telegraphed cut, the momentum will take it out of the way. I train my swordsmanship kids to use the advantage of their small size and flexibility, to sink under a coming high cut and thrust to the arm or armpit before the strike happens. This katana strike relies on power. The answer to that is to slip, void, countercut. For example, step to the side and Tiao, or snake step around using Gua as a travelling draw cut , inside the other blade range and diagonally up the torso, immediately followed by a return Duo to the shoulder. Best is to take the arm off though, significantly reducing the threat. There are some more thoughts on this page in the Chinese swords Guide under "deflecting a cut to the upper tight side"
http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com/defensive-move.html

Miaodao:
Let's skip Dao for now and go straight to an equal Chinese blade - a two handed sabre. Again, I would void the cut but use a two handed high deflection to protect my head. If the katana hit my blade it would slide down the steep angle. The power of these cuts means the momentum would certainly set it on a path I could avoid, leaving me with many return options, such as a wrist turn into a similar downward cut at the neck/shoulder or a slash straight across the face as i continued to step. One thing is certain. Whatever strategy we used, we would not just stand there facing the cut. Incidentally, I might also use the angled high guard with a jian, either one or two handed.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

bond_fan

Post by bond_fan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:53 pm

Linda,

Thanks for the advice! It sometimes intimidates when one sees such powerful cuts and figuring how to stop something like that!

J HepworthYoung

Post by J HepworthYoung » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:07 am

In addition to Linda's astute comments:
With a jian one can also employ the same timing elements as with a katana that are found in Japanese transmissions such as can be found in the Book of the Five Elements (Musashi) and modern prints of the Life Giving Sword (Yagyu). These timings do not rely upon a block, but rather use void and then counter.