European longsword

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

jaime_g
European longsword

Post by jaime_g » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:47 am

Linda Heenan

Re: European longsword

Post by Linda Heenan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:00 am

Are you in the bout and asking us to comment on your performance? If not, it wouldn't be good for us to make comment on the training at another school.
Contributions welcome at the Chinese Swords Guide - now with RSS http://www.chinese-swords-guide.com

jaime_g

Post by jaime_g » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:07 am

Are you in the bout and asking us to comment on your performance? If not, it wouldn't be good for us to make comment on the training at another school.
I'm not in the bout, but I belong to the same group that these boys :) Don't worry about comments :wink:

Nik

Post by Nik » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:07 am

From the dynamics, it is ok, frankly, it looks much better than people showing inept footwork who literally jump into each other with the least amount of balance and control they could muster (on youtube, "medieval swordfighting" tourneys). If the techniques are correct for your kind of school, this has to be up to you or someone who knows them enough. Improvising is good, but only if you have a good fundamental arsenal of basics, just figuring "attacks" on the fly with no formal practice is a no-no (saw that one too, argued as "taken from 600 BC spartan lance fighting"). What I would object to if it was me, is that you get too close in some instances, too close to do much yourself, but at the same time giving away too many openings during your approaching. Capable swordfighters would cut through your forearms or legs if doing so, provided this would be a go at someone not wearing plate. You can afford being in the range of your opponent with parts of your body only if, by preparational displacement of their weapon, or outmanouvring their position, they cannot hit you during the time you need to hit yourself.

jaime_g

Post by jaime_g » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Hello Nik

English isn't my mother tongue and i have the doubt if you speak in general, or about the video.

It's possible that it can't be seen on the video, but we work a lot the bladework and control of weapon. you can watch it here

http://www.youtube.com/user/DarkFury#pl ... _El0xAKBaI

On the other side, I don't agree about leg attacks .I think they are more dangerous for the one that does it,that for the one who receives it.

thanks for your opinion :)

Nik

Post by Nik » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:06 pm

The leg attack is, like anything else, a question of timing, and position. There are positions where the distance to your leg allows hitting it, while the rest of the body is not in reach, and so would be the body of your opponent (same size weapons granted). So, when charging, there needs to be the awareness of expecting the counter and having answers for them.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:17 pm

jaime_g wrote:... don't agree about leg attacks. I think they are more dangerous for the one that does it,that for the one who receives it.
I forget the exact percentages, but in C. Amberger's book, The Secret History of the Sword, he mentions a study showing the bone damage to skeletons from mediaeval battlefields, the bones with the highest percentage of damage are the legs bones, more than half as I recall, next highest was the sword arm & the head was third. This certainly indicates that the leg was a primary target.

In this year's TCSL Tournament, Ian Glazer certain safely scored a number of solid hit to the lead leg of his duifang, so I'd have to go with the comments above that it is all about the timing...

BTW, I wholeheartedly recommend Amberger's book for anyone interested in swordsmanship, regardless of style...