Percussive cuts.

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Conal
Percussive cuts.

Post by Conal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:12 am

Is this effectively a chop?
"Do or do not, there is no Try"
Yoda

J HepworthYoung

Re: Percussive cuts.

Post by J HepworthYoung » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:58 am

I'd say choppy at least...

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:32 pm

I think people get themselves into very silly conversations when we start making little distinctions between chopping and slashing and cutting and slicing and all of that. A "chop" is a percussive cut in my mind, but there is no standard definition for chopping. On the other hand, a percussive cut is one that impacts with the edge, using the momentum of the strike. After making contact, the blade may turn into a draw cut(in which the blade draws against the skin in much the same way that you'd cut a tomato), but the draw cut itself is not part of the percussive action.
Antitheses: A blog for martial artists in search of a good conversation.

Conal

Post by Conal » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:25 am

Michael wrote:I think people get themselves into very silly conversations when we start making little distinctions between chopping and slashing and cutting and slicing and all of that. A "chop" is a percussive cut in my mind, but there is no standard definition for chopping. On the other hand, a percussive cut is one that impacts with the edge, using the momentum of the strike. After making contact, the blade may turn into a draw cut(in which the blade draws against the skin in much the same way that you'd cut a tomato), but the draw cut itself is not part of the percussive action.
The nuances of language can be important as a we differentiate chop and cut for a reason, whast ever that might be in context.

A chop is designed to use weight and momentum to split. A wood cutting axe and log splitters do this.

A cut is designed to use momentum in a second plane at the same time as using weight and/or momentum directed into the surface/target, even in a draw cut.

This leads me to coinclude that a percussive cut is not a chop but is as shown in my second point above, though I was not sure and wanted some input.

I am thinking of the oxtail branch of sabers, which have been said to favour percussive cutting. The design of these particularly the last 3rd of the blade would seem to be better suited to cutting (i.e pulling to draw slightly) rather than chopping as they tend to thin more than a willow leaf or goosequill in that portion of the blade.

I am aware that a willowleaf/goosewquill are likely to have a fulcrum closer to hilt than an oxtail so the latter will have more weight forward, which points toward creating more weight for chopping but I see very few moves in forms which look choppy. A chop has an abrupt end thus loosing flow and recovery if missed. It is possible that most forms developed pre-oxtail with so that the oxtails chopping capacity does not show in the forms very much.
"Do or do not, there is no Try"
Yoda

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:33 pm

There are a variety of cuts in both jianfa & daofa, that are generally percussive in nature, &, as discussed above, some of them have drawing action to the cut, which provides from some "slicing" action during the cut, which also makes that cut generally more efficient. But this is not a question of which is the "better" cut. These days, no one actually fights/duels with real swords in order to kill his or her opponent. And most of the cutting work people do is also aimed at completely cutting thru the target which obviously looks & feels good. But the thing is, there were are situations in real combat where one actually doesn't want to cut too deeply, or thru & would actually want more hitting action to the cut that actual slicing thru action. One example of wanting more hit to one's cut would be when apply a ge (blocking) cut to intercept the duifang's sword arm when he or she is attacking. In this case, one would be happy to cut the attacking limb only halfway thru while knocking it off line to ensure there isn't enough follow thru to allow it to reach one's body. So it isn't a matter of chop or not to chop or chop with a bit of slice, but of choosing the right tool for the job at that moment...