Grip

Discussion of Chinese historical swordsmanship from all styles.

Moderator:Scott M. Rodell

Bede Bidlack
Grip

Post by Bede Bidlack » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:33 pm

Dear Scott,

In workshops with you and Master Wang, I seem to remember the grip on the sword to be with the thumb crossing the index finger and the middle finger. I have also seen pictures of Master Wang using this grip.

In your book you make a point that the grip is to be with the thumb across the middle finger and the ring finger.

Are both acceptable? Is one preferable?

Respectfully Submitted,
Bede

[%sig%]

Scott m. Rodell

Re: Grip

Post by Scott m. Rodell » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:13 am

Bede Bidlack wrote:

...I seem to remember the
> grip on the sword to be with the thumb crossing the index
> finger and the middle finger...
> In your book you make a point that the grip is to be with the
> thumb across the middle finger and the ring finger.
>
> Are both acceptable? Is one preferable?

Both will work. I prefer the thumb over the 2 middle fingers as I presented in my book. Master Liang taught the grip this way. This grip is firm yet allows for fluid movement of the wrist by making the tightest part of one's grip at the center of the jian handle rather than at the top of the handle, just below the guard. However, this grip certainly takes some getting use to.

Master Hu Lin of Houston (my senior classmate) also likes to use a grip for thrusting where he extends his index finger so it points down the blade at the target when he's thrusting. This works quie well & improves accuracy. I don't use this grip because, quite simply, I don't wish to rish getting my thumb whacked in free swordplay. Also I concerned that while changing the grip from all fingers on the handle to index extended, then back, the grip is weakened during the change. If the duifang uses beat at this moment, he might well knock the jian from your hand.

Greg Knollmeyer

Post by Greg Knollmeyer » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:18 am

that while changing the grip from all fingers on the handle to index extended, then back, the grip is weakened during the change

Just to clarify here, throughout form and application there would never then be a point where there is significant grip change on the jian--as the thumb would always be overlapping the middle two fingers?

Since I've been exploring the book, I've just started working this way and it feels more secure; but I'm working on balancing the tension in wrist & forearm on some of the under the arm cuts.

Thanks,

Greg K.

Scott M. Rodell
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Scott M. Rodell » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:26 am

Greg Knollmeyer wrote:Just to clarify here, throughout form and application there would never then be a point where there is significant grip change on the jian...?...this way and it feels more secure...
I've found while this grip with the thumb over lapping the two middle fingers takes some getting use to, it is the most secure & its best NOT to change back & forth between grips. Personally, like everyone else when they start free swordplay, I've been hit too many time on the fingers to consider pointing the index finger over the guard towards the tip when thrusting.